New software design technique allows programs to run faster

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jiml8

I think that the real definition of "fast enough" for things like word processors is whether the user has to wait for things that happen. If the user isn't waiting, the application is fast enough.

Multiple cores permit the hard to parallelize app to run on one core while housekeeping and other system chores run on other cores, thus providing parallelism where it is really needed and preventing the user from having to wait on the app.

Speeding up the app, at the cost of multiple threads (which can lead to rather nightmarish debugging scenarios if thread synchronization is not done carefully and absolutely correctly) seem like a fairly useless thing to do.

I'm not opposing the use of threads - I use them all the time - but doing it gratuitously will lead to software that is less reliable.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online