1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new sound card -- no sound thru speakers with sub

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smoothcrimin, May 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoothcrimin

smoothcrimin Thread Starter

Hi..
    I just installed a used sound card that I got from a friend free, a Soundblaster Live! Value card. Before I had a cheap SB card, 128D or something. Anyway, I removed my old card from device manager and then I turned off the computer and took the old card out and put the new one in. Then I switched the computer back on, it gave me some grief about the drivers and such but I fixed that and device manager now says its fine.

Also, before with my old card I just had the card appear on Device Manager and that was it. Now, I have this new tree appear that says "Miscallaneous Creative Devices" (?), and under that is "Creative Multimedia Interface", and "Creative SB Live! SB16 Emulation". I don't know what those are. Then under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" I have the "SB Live! Value" card show up. I don't know why 3 new things appeared when I only installed the sound card, but whatever. Device Manager says there are no problems, conflicts, whathaveyou.

Everything looks fine and I have the little volume control thing on the taskbar as well as "SB Live! Mixer" on there, I used to have that with my old card but it had a different name but the same icon. Anyways...I started up Winamp and played an MP3, but there's no sound coming from my Boston Acoustic Speakers which have a subwoofer. I have the setup where you plug the subwoofer into the soundcard and then the two speakers are connected to the sub (they also make no noise when theyre turned up which they usually make a buzzing noise, and yes they're turned on). This worked fine before. Anyway, I was messing with it and I plugged in headphones into the Line In plug on the card, and they work! But still no sound from the speakers. I get no errors when I try to play my Mp3s on winamp, but there is still no sound. It's like it's muted but it isn't muted, I checked. Any ideas? I've tried everything, rebooting, checking all sound levels etc etc. Help! :confused: :confused: Thanks.

-Liz

2. active95

active95

Welcome to techsupportguy smoothcrimin :)
    I think that you might have a problem with drivers ... Basically using the old SB drivers with the new SB card. It's normal to have a new entry in Device Manager ( why creative labs makes it , i really don't know). Try and remove all the entries in Device Manager ( SB wise) , restart in Safe Mode( if you have win98 or win ME , for win2k or XP is a different story) and do the same thing. Power down , then go ahead move the card to a different slot. Power up and install the lastest drivers for SB ( from www.soundblaster.com )
    HTH

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/80266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice