1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New sound card

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by prospect, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prospect

prospect Thread Starter

I have an HP 6630 with 500 MHz and 256 ram. To make a long story short, I had to replace my OS that came with the PC (WIN 98 TO ME). I had problems with the sound card after I changed to ME. I couldn't find the proper drivers for it. As far as I know the sound card was built into the motherboard. Now I went out and bought a Creative Sound Blaster 16 PCI. My question is, Can I use this card with a PC that has a sound card built into the motherboard? And how do I get rid of the old drivers?

Prospect :)

2. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

hi prospect,

You can use that card if you disable the onboard sound in the BIOS. The old drivers can be removed in the Device Manager by expanding "Sound, Video, Games.etc".

If the onboard sound worked with Win98, it should work with ME.
    Just reinstall the drivers from your Recovery Disk.

Spaceman

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Find the listing for the on-board sound in the Device Manager, go into its properties section, then select "Disable from this hardware profile". A red "X" will appear in front of its listing to show that it is disabled.

Personally, I think that Windows 98SE is a better operating system than Windows ME.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

4. prospect

prospect Thread Starter

All I'm finding in the device manager is the new sound card.
    I'm gonna try looking in the BIOS and see what's going on there.

Prospect

5. lostoreador

lostoreador

Just like adding any pci device, disable onboard through bios or by removing it from device list. then install pci with installation disk. If any other problems, use disk manufacturer in any search engine for updated drivers or help files.

or just do what the other guys said.

6. prospect

prospect Thread Starter

I don't see this old card anywhere. Not in the BIOS, or device manager.
    Prospect

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice