New speakers, no sound

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joetech

My brother has a new computer 1.4Ghz AMD/256RAM/ Win98 and just bought new speakers. The 32meg sound card and Nero software is installed. It has no sound and no sound from music CDs. How do we test and setup for sound?
Thanks.

The 32 meg card must be the video card, nero is for burning cd's. Really don't have anything to do with sound.

Is the audio out cable from the cdrom/cdrw connected to the sound card.

Does the sound card work for other things besides cd's.

start/settings/control panel/sounds/ try and play the sounds

joetech

You're right, the 32meg is video. sound is on EPOX motherboard.
CDRW cable is connected to motherboard. It gets no sound from any source. I will try Control Panel settings.
Should speakers be connected to motherboard socket, modem socket, or CDRW socket? Or do you have to switch the speaker plug to CDRW when you want to try a music CD?
Thanks.

On the back of your machine, you should have a sound out connection, the speakers get plugged into that connector

Just below the parrelell port connector, should be labeled sound out

the connector on the front of the cd is for headphones only.

Did the sound ever work. Have you tried installing the sound drivers again

joetech

I will try the control settings on his computer when I go to my brothers house later.
Thanks.

Wouldn't be a Compaq with an EPOX motherboard in it! Perhaps the audio cable form the CD-ROM to the sound car is missing or disconnected. GO into control panel and see if you can play wav sounds from the sounds applet. If you can the audio cable or a volume or mute setting are the problem.

joetech

I went into Control Panel sounds and could not get any sound out of the wav files. The EPOX 8K7A motherboard has built in sound. I installed the audio software from the EPOX CD before I tried the wav files. The speaker system has it's own power.
The CD wire inside is connected to the motherboard.
Don't know what to do next.
?

joetech

I re-installed Windows w/driver and sound now works fine.
Thanks for your help.
:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online