New SSD and new install of windows 10 in Sony Vaio laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sigmolio

Between Dec 19 and Feb 20 I was given a lot of help but eventually it was decided that my old hard drive needed to be replaced. Only now able to do this and I have bought a Samsung V-nand
SSD 860 EVO 500GB.
The desktop I am writing this on was windows 7 then upgraded to win 10.
The Vaio laptop came with win 7 installed and I have the product key label for this. I then did the free Microsoft upgrade to Windows 10. But that hard drive is now kaput. My first question is :
Will there be a digital license for win 10 existing for me on the MS servers after the free upgrade, so that I can do a fresh install on the new SSD ?
Grateful for any help.

Couriant

James
If you have a Microsoft account that you sign into the laptop, then the license will be tied to that, but from what I know, you should still be able to do an install and Windows does check with the server. Worse case you would have to call Microsoft to explain that you changed the hard drive and they will activate it.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If Windows Home or Pro was previously installed and activated in your Sony VAIO laptop, it should re-activate after you re-install it, even if you replaced its storage drive.

If Windows Home or Pro was previously installed and activated in your Sony VAIO laptop, it should re-activate after you re-install it, even if you replaced its storage drive.
True. I clean installed Win 10 Home on a new SSD on the wife's laptop and it activated.

sigmolio

Ok thanks. I'll crack on and try to install . might have to get back to you for some help.

sigmolio

Encountered a problem. Created usb install media successfully on desktop.
USB into laptop and fired up. Windows set up appears (asks for language etc.)
Next. Activate windows window. Asks for product key. Thought I'd try original win 7 key (you never know). Doesn't work so I hit 'don't have a product key'.
Accept license terms. 'Where do you want to install?' Chose 'Drive 0 partition2
465 GB'. Next. 'Windows Set up' with list :
copying windows files etc etc . everything gets ticked.
last item ticked is 'getting finished'.
Screen goes blank for several seconds then 'windows needs to restart to continue '.
Screen goes black for several seconds again then it back to very first screen :
Windows set up. I went through this process many times so would be grateful for any advice/instructions.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Screen goes blank for several seconds then 'windows needs to restart to continue '.
Screen goes black for several seconds again then it back to very first screen :
Windows set up.
Quickly remove the USB install media when the screen goes black during restart.
When the computer restarts, the Windows 10 install process will hopefully continue and finish.

I've had your same problem with Windows setup restarting when using USB install media in Windows 7.
I've never used USB install media in Windows 10, so I wasn't aware it might have the same problem.

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

sigmolio

Thanks so much as a good few times before.
I now have win 10 up and running on my old laptop.
Thank you brother.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online