New SSD, random clicking / stuttering?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

c0rruptioN

i bought a corsair reactor 60gb for my OS the other week and have 750gb for storage now, it's fast and all but i get random clicking / stuttering. most of the time while im trying to do something in Ventrilo but there are other occasions too. i also get this long freeze time when i leave my computer on over night, i'll go to do something in the morning and the desktop is frozen and one of the hard drives is making a screeching noise while it's frozen. eventually ~5 minutes later it will unfreeze and the screeching stops.

c0rruptioN,

It sounds more like a problem with your Seagate drive to be honest. I've just been through a load of hard drives at the office testing which ones do and don't work. One I had acted just as described, clicking and stuttering and then it'd squeel like a banshee.

If you picture a record deck, you have the 'arm' sitting just over the record and the arm 'reads' the record.

Now imagine that you press down on the arm and force it to scrape along the record.

Now imagine that both are made of metal and the record is spinning much much faster.

That's your screech!

To be sure though, take the side off your computer when it's prone to screeching and listen to determine where it is coming from.

Seagate has a set of tools (Seatools) to help diagnose faults. This can be found on their website here > http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

I take it your 750gb disk is quite new? Therefore might be under warranty from Seagate?

c0rruptioN

im doing the tests right now, this is my second 750gb, first one had some bad sectors and i had to get rid of it.

crjdriver

Since your os is on the ssd, why not just pull the pw connector from the 750gig drive. Now pw ON and see if you have the problem.

In addition have you checked for any firmware updates for your ssd? Since the technology is so new, there are going to be a LOT of updates released. I just installed an ocz ssd drive and I could not be happier. There was a bit of a problem when first installing however the problem was kaspersky INS. It just did not work with the ssd [worked fine with the old raid array]

c0rruptioN

Since your os is on the ssd, why not just pull the pw connector from the 750gig drive. Now pw ON and see if you have the problem.

In addition have you checked for any firmware updates for your ssd? Since the technology is so new, there are going to be a LOT of updates released. I just installed an ocz ssd drive and I could not be happier. There was a bit of a problem when first installing however the problem was kaspersky INS. It just did not work with the ssd [worked fine with the old raid array]
i'll try that, but from what i've heard there is no SSD firmware, corsairs says that there is no need for firmware atm.

c0rruptioN

ok i did every test with seatools and everything passed. i just unplugged the 750gb drive and im gonna leave it on for a while like this.

crjdriver

Let us know how it works. FWIW I have had a few drives that passed all tests and were still problematic.

crjdriver

old to the ssd is working fine, now what?
It is pretty obvious now is it not? Your hard drive has problems. I assume you have tried another data cable and pw connector and the problem is still there when you tried both of those.

Do you have another drive to plug in to test?

c0rruptioN

It is pretty obvious now is it not? Your hard drive has problems. I assume you have tried another data cable and pw connector and the problem is still there when you tried both of those.

Do you have another drive to plug in to test?
no i don't have another drive.

but i got the ssd to freeze over night. went to go check something in the morning and it's froze solid making that same noise, like i said it was (not the clicking, the screeching)

crjdriver

OK, I am not understanding. In post #8 you said it is working fine now in post #10 it is not.

Does the system work ok with just the ssd drive?

c0rruptioN

OK, I am not understanding. In post #8 you said it is working fine now in post #10 it is not.

Does the system work ok with just the ssd drive?
thought it was too. left it on while at work and was fine but when i left it on overnight it was frozen in the morning.

crjdriver

OK, I can tell you from experience that some apps just do not work well with a ssd type drive. When I installed mine, I had all kinds of problems with freezing that I finally traced to my AV software.

Try booting into safe mode and see if you still have the problem.

A few other things to check;
1 Are there any bios updates for your mb that have a new ahci rom?
2 Are you running the latest chipset drivers?

One last thought. Did you clean install win7 on the ssd or did you clone/restore win7?

c0rruptioN

OK, I can tell you from experience that some apps just do not work well with a ssd type drive. When I installed mine, I had all kinds of problems with freezing that I finally traced to my AV software.

Try booting into safe mode and see if you still have the problem.

A few other things to check;
1 Are there any bios updates for your mb that have a new ahci rom?
2 Are you running the latest chipset drivers?

One last thought. Did you clean install win7 on the ssd or did you clone/restore win7?
1 i'll check
2 i'll check

yes win7 in clean install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online