1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Super Hub 2, Limited Internet, Unidentified Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Prodbod, Sep 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Prodbod

Prodbod Thread Starter

Hey,

I'm running windows 8, with a Netgear wna1000m n150 wireless usb micro adapter.

In short; Virgin Sent us a new Super Hub 2. Yay. It doesn't work. Boo.

Up until this point my wireless adapter has been working well, not a great connection, but suitable for my needs. Virgin has sent us a new router promising greater signal and strength, brilliant.

Well it would be, however my computer has ceased to pick up internet. It can 'connect' to the router. However it mostly sees it as an unidentified network. It says the internet is 'limited' however in the context it seems to be non-existent.

What I've tried:

Running the Basic Troubleshooter with the results of
    - "Wifi" doesn't have a valid IP configuration
    - No default gateway
    Turning the router on and off again
    Turning the router off, turning my computer off, turning the router back on, turning the computer back on.
    ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew
    Changing the ipv4 settings so they're not auto (this made it appear to connect to the internet, but it didn't, then confused the troubleshooter)
    Pinged 8.8.8.8 (nothing)
    Pinged a few others that I don't remember now, The router responded to tell me that it couldn't be reached. So at least I know my computer is talking to the router.
    Updated the drivers for my wireless adapter.

ipconfig

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix :
    Link-Local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f499:459:4a30:b3b6%8
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address : 169.254.179.182
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . .:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{05A95221-5700-457E-A0A5-B00C6F4B3346}:

Media State : Media Disconnected
    Connection-Specific DNS Suffic:

I don't know if its weird or not that the DNS Suffic and Default Gateway are blank. I assume it is.

Extra information
    My phone (galaxy s4) connects to the 5g and 2g connections fine. My laptop (Dell Precision | M440) connects to the 2g connection using a Belkin (802.11g - 5.4 Mbps) completely fine (in fact I'm posting from it now)

I've been working on this a few days now and I'm slowly warming to the idea of my Dell XPS 1 saying hello to the pavement outside. Please send help.

Thanks for reading this over, if you need any more information please request.

2. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

When you updated the driver did you uninstall the old one first?
    Also the Super Hub 2 has a modem mode. Can check to insure this is disabled.

3. Prodbod

Prodbod Thread Starter

Hey Coolburn, Thanks for the reply.

I did uninstall the drivers first, and no modem mode is not enabled.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you don't have a satisfactory email address (e.g., from your ISP) you could try http://www.pcworld.com/article/231780/xirrus_wifi_inspector.html. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Identify your network if it is not obvious.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after each command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

5. Prodbod

Prodbod Thread Starter

Hey Terrynet,

I've attached both the screenshot and the ipconfig results as requested.

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For the Xirrus you had an apparently good connection, but no connection for the ipconfig /all. I don't know why the difference.

The signal strength should be OK, but if it gets a little weaker the connection will become unreliable. If anything (such as a person) additional comes into the path between router and adapter that could be enough to weaken the signal.

Please grab an Xirrus screen shot for a time when there is no connection.

7. Prodbod

Prodbod Thread Starter

That was a screenshot when it said I had Limited connection. However I don't know why it says Limited as there is no connection at all.

I've had to leave for the time being. I will post again over the next few days. Thank you for your assistance thus far.

8. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

After changing IPV4 settings, did you ever put it back to auto?

9. Prodbod

Prodbod Thread Starter

Yeah. I changed it a few times. But its back at auto now.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand why you say "there is no connection at all" when it has an IP address, Default Gateway and DNS server assigned. However, I did just notice that the "External IP" is blank, which is quite strange. Does any other device get internet access with that wireless network?

11. Prodbod

Prodbod Thread Starter

When I say no connection at all I mean there might be a connection but my browser wont connect to any sites. Steam wont connect. League of legends wont connect. Pinging the google server comes back blank. So from what I can see there's no connection.

My laptop. Phone and housemates Mac connect fine.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1132944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice