1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new switch in classroom can't get connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dundee16, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dundee16

dundee16 Thread Starter

I'm working at a school with win 2k3 server and several win xp client computers.

I just moved two computers into a clasroom and put in a 5 port Linksys switch between the ethernet jack and the machines. All the wires are connected.

These machines have automatic IP and DNS settings. Nothing was changed on the server.

I tried powering off the switch and restarting the machines but I can't get any connection.

I tried manually setting the IP and DNS with no success. Still can't ping anything..

Please help

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

sounds like neither the main switch or this linksys support mdi/mdix. You may need a crossover cable from wall to linksys.

3. dundee16

dundee16 Thread Starter

I'm not sure. These are just cat5e cables. I went back and unplugged the switch and each machine can connect individually, but just not through this linksys ezxs55w. Strange because I've used these in other places and they've worked. Any other thoughts?

4. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Have you confirmed the device works...anywhere?
    choices are improper connection or defective switch.
    I'm betting on improper connection.

5. dundee16

dundee16 Thread Starter

the device worked in another location. not sure what to try next..

6. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Not sure? dundee16 get a crossover cable dude! What is left of the two possibles?

Odds are you are connecting the linksys to an older switch that doesn't support mdi/mdix whereas where you connected previously had a newer switch that supported mdi/mdix which is why it worked in that location and not this one.

Darn. Reread your first post. There is a third possibility. The port you are connecting to isn't live. Hook a pc up to it. Does it get a ip and is the connection live?

7. dundee16

dundee16 Thread Starter

well the ethernet jack works, and the ports on the switch work

there's one difference between buildings i forgot to mention. building i connected through has linksys as main switch, building where i can't connect has 3com switch. I doubt that affects anything but I figured I should say that.

I was think of powering off that main switch (I'm the admin) and seeing if that works.

8. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

You would not power down the main but the 3com. I don't think that will make any difference if the 3com doesn't support mdi/mdix

So where is that crossover cable you need?

9. dundee16

dundee16 Thread Starter

I don't have a crossover cable on hand, but I could get one if needed.

I'm not looking to link these computers together for sharing but instead I want to create more network connections. Doesn't the linksys switch do the crossover internally?

I think the problem is in the communication between the computers and the switch, and not a hardware issue but a software configuration.
    I tried changing the link speed to 100 mbps and 10 mbps but that didn't work.

Any other thoughts?

10. JohnnyP

JohnnyP

Does that model have an uplink port?

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No crossover cable needed here, from the specifications:

5 Port 10/100 Autosensing Ports with Both Half and Full Duplex Modes

I think you need to test the switch in a different location.

12. dundee16

dundee16 Thread Starter

ok, I figured it out.

I was cascading two switches and trying to use both uplink port #4 on the first in the chain.

After I took the cable out of #4 it worked. That was really simple.

Wish I had noticed that earlier. Thanks for your responses.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You must have has some odd loop going! :D

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

[​IMG]

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice