New System -Blank Screen. Please help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

McTavish

i've just finished building my new computer but it will not boot. the power comes on inside and the hard drive spins up when this happens i get no system beeps.
Specs:
P4 Socket 775 3.0 Ghz 1Mb L2 Cache 800mhz fsb
ASUS P5P800 SE motherboard.
400W psu 20 pin connector connected though 24 pin converter.
2x 1Gb DDR 400 Ram
ATI RADEON X700 Graphics Card (working)

i've tried unpluging all the devices to see if it would beep but it didn't. so i ried moving teh am and around...still no beeps. but when i unpluged both ram and it deep beep.

does this mean the motherboad is working and the cpu isn't?

please help!

Have you attached in the the additional ATX four pin 12v motherboard plug?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd remove the MB from the case and get it running on the bench first. Frequently, you'll short something in the mounting of the MB and the system won't run. I like to know the system's going to function before I go to the trouble of sticking it all in the case. :)

McTavish

k, i'll try this. so i know what to look for, what would be shorting it?

McTavish

k i tried this but it's still not working. anyone got any ideas? do you think it could be that i'm using an adapter on the psu to convert a 20pin connection to 24?

I did spot that in the original post, it could be the problem.
Its not something I personally would use in a new build, Can you try another psu with correct plug.

You should try a power supply with more oomph like, at least 450w
Also the mobo psu connection could be an issue. Its possible that you need to plug your video card into the power supply, but i think you would notice if that was necessary

McTavish

dont have a psu with a 24 pin connection to hand but will bid for one on ebay. the guy who sold me the cpu said he would give me a refund. is it worth taking him up on this and trying a new one or could there still be something wrong with the mother board?

if you have no life, you could disassemble adn reasemble the pc for kicks (dont respond to that)

McTavish said:
dont have a psu with a 24 pin connection to hand but will bid for one on ebay. the guy who sold me the cpu said he would give me a refund. is it worth taking him up on this and trying a new one or could there still be something wrong with the mother board?
Done a bit research on your mobo and I would definitely go for a psu with a 24 pin and at least 450w, if you can get a refund from the guy that sold it to you, go for it.
Here is a site to help you calulate how much power you need.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/Power_Supply_Calculator.php?cmd=INTEL

McTavish

k, tried unplugging the ram again to see what beeps it actually made. the code they gave (1 continuous beep followed by two short beeps) isn't in the motheboad manual. why would this be?

Research I found for the beep codes report there is a problem with the display adapter.
This could mean several things 1, the graphics card is bad, ( you say it is working) the agp on the motherboard is bad or it could be a power issue.
I would still try the psu route to start with, but then I have never used those adapters it seems like second best to me for a new setup
Just realised you removed the ram to get those beeps so I could be barking up the wrong tree with the result, still think the psu is the problem though

McTavish

right then i'll order a new psu. they're only as expensive as a taking the thing to a pc shop anyway. do the beeps mean that the motherboad is sound or could there still be a problem here?

McTavish

ok, i've tried replacing both the psu and the cpu and the dam thing will stilll not boot. any ideas what i should try next? i'm thinking the motherboard must be dead but am sorely tempted to take it to make local computer shop. any last ideas before i have to spend a lot of money?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online