1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New system BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Triggerhand, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Triggerhand

Triggerhand Thread Starter

Hi there. I keep getting BSOD! I put my computer together yesterday, within the first 7 hours i got a BSOD, i was like okay... updated my drivers, double checked everything. I'm still getting BSOD! It really starting to worry me! I've attached my mini dump, if that's needed.

Attached Files:

2. DomCru

DomCru

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Your BSOD logs are random, so running the suggested memory diagnostic is where I would start. You can download Memtest86+ here: http://memtest.org/

You mentioned updating your drivers. How did you update them? (Hopefully not by using a driver scanner website). I recommend using the drivers from the Gigabyte website for the chipset, LAN, USB 3.0 and audio. Get the graphics driver from Nividia.

Your logs show a very old driver "GVTDrv64.sys" dated September 2006 which is Gigabyte EasyTune 6 driver. Information on the web indicates problems with it and Windows 7.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

These are my observations.

This is quite a mixture of crash dumps which usually points at faulty, mismatched, incompatible or incorrect voltage/timings in respect of the RAM. Three of the dumps state there is a memory problem. Is the RAM you bought in the motherboard's compatability list?

One of the dumps indicates that Driver Verifier is turned on, if there was a bad driver, that would cause a BSOD fairly quickly after boot up and it would be naming the faulty driver, but it only points to a Windows driver. Therefore, the likelyhood of it being a driver issue is very slim. Driver Verifier will be slowing down your PC so switch it off. Click on Start, type cmd in the box and then right click on cmd as it appears in the box above, select "Run as Administrator". At the command prompt type this Verifier /reset (make sure you leave a space before the /) then hit Enter.

Follow everything in this guide to check your RAM.

5. Rockn

Rockn

If you just installed the OS on a newly built computer you need to make sure you have installed all of the correct divers. THis is the first thing you should do before doing anything. Was your Corsair memory also on the supported list?

6. Triggerhand

I double checked all my drivers, there all up to date. I also used my "Drive Genius" to look for non-updated drives.

I'll Run my tests for my Ram tonight.

Still getting BSOD: Windows 7 BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and memory management and other things. Please see attachment for latest BSOD

Attached Files:

7. Rockn

Rockn

Again, Was your Corsair memory also on the supported list?

8. Triggerhand

supported by my mobo?
    my mobo is GA-990FXA-UD3. The Memory says:

1. 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory (Note 1)
    2. Dual channel memory architecture
    3. Support for DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules (Note 2)
    So I'm pretty sure it is?

9. Mark1956

Mark1956

The RAM is in the compatability list.

This latest batch of miidumps are just like before, no consistency and typical of faulty RAM.

What you need to check is that you have the RAM at the correct voltage setting in the Bios and you have followed any setup guide for the Bios in the motherboard manual.

10. Triggerhand

Just downloading Adobe reading right now to read the compatibly list.
    Yes I have 8-8-8-24 1333 I had to change it to 1600Mhz.

EDIT:
    My Corsair is on the list but only 4G do i have too much RAM?

11. Mark1956

Mark1956

The RAM is compatible it does not matter how many you have up to the maximum supported capacity.

So the timings and frequency are correctly set what abouth the voltage @ 1.5V

12. Triggerhand

I have the Voltage set at 1.5V.
    I'll probably do the memtest86 for each stick?

13. Mark1956

Mark1956

If you run it on each stick it will take twice as long to determine if the RAM is OK. Run it on both overnight so it completes, at the very least, 8 passes. The passes show in the centre horizontal line on the screen, just to the right. Don't stop it before it completes 8 passes or you will have wasted your time.

I forgot to ask earlier, did you follow what I said in post 4 about turning Driver Verifier off?

14. Triggerhand

Okay will do.

Yes I did and it said "No settings were changed."

Could it be anything else other than my RAM?

15. Mark1956

Mark1956

That is odd with the Verifier. One of the crash dumps and I think there was another in the second batch clearly stated that Driver Verifier had detected a bad driver so I was sure it must be turned on. Just to be quite sure it is switched off follow this:

Click on Start and type verifier into the search box then click on verifier in the list that pops up. Driver Verifier will open. Select "Delete Existing Settings" and click on "Finish".

Yes, Ram is not the only possibility but at the moment and in view of all the random BSOD's it is the most obvious.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice