1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New System Build - Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coderitr, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

I started buying the parts yesterday with the case and motherboard. I picked up an Antec Nine Hundred case and an ASUS P5KC motherboard. This board will support either the core 2 duo or core 2 quad chip and has slots for 4 ddr2 dimms and 2 ddr3. So here's what I'm thinking for the rest:

Antec TP3-550 PSU (550W)
    Western Digital 750GB HDD
    EVGA 512 MB Video PCI-E

Question: Should I go with the Core2 Duo at 3.06 GHz or the Core 2 Quad at 2.4? In either case I can get either 2GB DDR3 at 1333 MHz or 4GB DDR2 at 1066 MHz for roughly the same price. With the DDR3 the memory would be maxed out because there are only two DDR3 slots and I can't find 2GB DDR3 dimms that I can afford.

Edit: I picked out a Zalman cooler because I have one in my current PC and when I installed it it cut the idle temp on the CPU by 12 degrees but the case has a side vent and room for a 120mm fan. Should I get the cooler or stick with the stock HSF and install the side fan? This case is loaded with fans already - two 120mm in front pushing through the drive bays, 1 120mm exhaust fan at the top rear of the case and a 200mm on top. I think the 550W PSU will handle that and more.

2. krskipp

krskipp

get the quad and then overclock it to 3 Ghz. You should be able to do it with the stock cooler - but if not you should be able to get to 2.8 at least and then if you can't afford it now, you can get a better cooling fan later and get it up and over 3 ghz. Hundreds saved in the process. Also Core 2 duos prefer the speed of the memory to be the same as the chip speed - so if you're not intending to overclock the chips (which will alter the memory speed unless you have access to the chip muiltiplier which is unlikely) then the 6850 is better with 1333 MHz memory and the Q6600 is better paired with the 1066 Mhz memory.

3. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

Okay after looking a little closer I think I've decided. I'm going to get the Core 2 Duo 6850 and DDR3. Both run at the top speed of 1333 MHz -- 30% faster than the 1066 speed on the quad. I'll only get 2GB of RAM but as the prices on DDR3 inevitably come down I can always upgrade. The motherboard also supports the quad chip so when the bus speed gets up I can drop that in as well. Coupled with the best video card I can afford after buying the CPU and RAM, I'll be building a lifeform. :)

4. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

Get a 45 nm E8400 instead.

5. DarklykraD

DarklykraD

Agree :rolleyes:

im still waiting for q9300 Proc (y)

6. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

Clearly. Why didn't I see that? It's cheaper with a 30% bigger cache. :confused:

7. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

:mad:

The brick & mortar store I go to in town has everything I need at good prices except the DDR3. So if I want to get my build done this weekend (and I do) I'm going to have to go DDR2 @ 800 mHz. Going at lunchtime to see if they can special order it and how much it's going to cost me for that. I can always get from Newegg but I don't want to wait for shipping.

8. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

Build completed.

Antec Nine Hundred chassis
    Thermaltake 500W PSU
    ASUS P5KC motherboard
    Intel Core2Duo E8400 CPU
    1333 MHz FSB
    EVGA 8600 Video Card with 512MB DDR3
    4 GB (4 x 1GB) Kingston HyperX DDR2 @ 1066 MHz
    Western Digital 500 GB SATA-II HDD
    18X DL DVD+-RW
    FDD + 7-in-1 card reader
    Windows XP Home Edition SP2

9. Pwr2daPpl

Pwr2daPpl

Can you post your OC and benchamark scores, when you get a chance?

I am planning to buy a very similar set, but will use Chieftec case+supply as I know they are good.

10. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

Not overclocking with the Intel stock cooler. Maybe if/when I get a superior cooling system I'll push it and see what happens. Benchmarked using free FreshDiagnose tools and I'll post the results later. If there's another benchmark tool you'd like to suggest, please do.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/677228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice