1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New system, hard disk problem... please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jsalbright, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsalbright

jsalbright Thread Starter

So TSG masters,

I am currently building a computer as a birthday gift for my father. The hardware configuration is as follows (non-critical info has been omitted).

FoxConn 945P7AA Motherboard (SATA support, no NCQ support)
    Seagate Barracuda 160GB SATA I Hard Disk (connected via SATA)
    Pioneer DVD-R/W Drive IDE (connected via IDE PATA ribbon)

I am trying to get an operating system installed. I've gone through all the settings in BIOS/CMOS setup that I'm familiar with, but I must admit I'm not an expert.

The initial BIOS sees the drive and identifies it as expected. Later in the boot sequence, though, the IDE idenfitication process takes place, and it does NOT see the hard disk. I can boot to the DVD drive, start Windows installation, but Windows cannot find a hard disk. I fear that this has something to do with using both PATA and SATA devices, but I've got the BIOS configured for Combined mode.

I've checked every setting I'm familiar with, and even played with a few that I'm not familiar with, to no avail. I cannot seem to get this problem sorted out.

Please please help me; this is a gift for my father and I'm trying to get it completely built and ready by his birthday.

Cheers,
    jsalbright

2. steven1350

steven1350

if you are installing windows xp, it does NOT detect SATA by default. There is a workaround by using a floppy disk somehow......

3. jsalbright

I know it's not that, because last night I was trying to configure the BIOS properly, and attempted to install Windows XP. It saw the hard disk, but I didn't continue the installation because that was just a test and I was obtaining my intended OS today.

Today I come to try and install Windows Vista, and I am unable to find the disk. No idea what changed. I'm totally confused.

Please help!

4. jsalbright

Can anyone help me with this?

5. bigbear

bigbear

Go into bios and make sure sata is enabled

6. jsalbright

I have already done this, of course. As I said above, I've enabled Enhanced Mode in BIOS to allow for PATA and SATA support.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, if you set sata mode to native ide or standard ide, windows usually will "See" the drive. If you set the sata mode to any other mode; ie ahci or raid, it will NOT see the drive and you would need to load the appropriate driver when prompted via the F6 key.

Check the foxconn site for any necessary drivers. Sometimes these are labeled as F6 driver.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I just checked the specs on that board and it seems that the ide supports raid as well as the sata. You need to make sure the ide is set to standard mode AND you set the correct mode for the sata as well.

In addition there is a driver download at the foxconn site labeled onboard pide/sata driver. If you download this and unzip the file, it has one part labeled "Make disk" this is for loading your driver during setup.

9. jsalbright

CRJDriver,

Thank you very much for your assistance. I have been able to use your recommendations and got the machine working.

It was, in fact, missing drivers; not configuration.

The machine is running Vista Ultimate 64bit like a champ now; thanks for your help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705087

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice