1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New System... Horrid Benchmarks...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kunou, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kunou

Kunou Thread Starter

Hi all, I'm kinda new here, long time reader, first time poster, all that. Anyway, I have a problem maybe someone can help me with...

I just built a new system. It has a FX 5500 (256) in it to hold me over till I can get the 6800 UEE. Anyway, after getting the system put together and up and running and all that I decided to do some benchmarking to see how it was running and to compare it to my old system. Here are my specs:

Old System:
    AMD XP 1800+
    1 GB 133 Mhz RAM
    Geforce Ti 4200 (128mb)
    Windows XP Pro
    DirectX 9.0c

New System:
    AMD 64 3400+
    2 GB Kingston HyperX Low Latency 400 Mhz RAM
    eVGA Geforce FX 5500 (256mb)
    Windows XP Pro
    DirectX 9.0c

(Those should be all the pertinent specs, anything else needed I can provide on request)

Now here's my benches:

Old System:
    3DMark01: 7,470
    3DMark03: 1,359
    Aquamark: 15,227
    FFXI Benchmark Utility: 2245-High 2820-Low

New System:
    3DMark01: 7,713
    3DMark03: 1,538
    Aquamark: 9,243
    FFXI Benchmark Utility: 2035-High 3601-Low

As you can see my new system FAR out powers my 2 year old system, yet the benchmarks are minimally better, or even lower in some cases...

I've updated all of my drivers and everything, have exhausted everything I can think of trying, anyone out there ever experienced this problem or have any suggestions as to what could be holding the new system back?

2. lizard

lizard

Hi Kunou!

I can't help much with upgrades or benchmarking, but if you try http://www.pcpitstop.com they might have some interesting info for you. Testing is pretty extensive, and good tips to help you get the most out of your hardware, connections, etc. Also benchmarks your system...
    You don't have to sign up to have your system checked out, but it's all free anyway.

_

3. Kunou

Kunou Thread Starter

In another forum I posted my problem in someone stated that they had very similar 3DMark03 scores on a similar system (as my new one). Only difference between our systems really was the ram, he only had 512 and I have 2048. If thats a normal score for a system of these specs thats fine, my biggest concern is primarily how my Aquamark specs came out lower than the old system by a lot. Also seemed like there should be a bigger margin between 2 systems of such varying power...

4. Kunou

Kunou Thread Starter

/bump... :(

5. lizard

lizard

Hey, we almost posted #2 and #3 at exactly the same time. Did pcpitstop help at all?

6. Seaner

Seaner

Double check your video properties...make sure you don't have AA/AF on in the testing format or in video properties. Also make sure that you have v-sync off.

I just did a 3DMark2001 SE test on my rig got 12,244.

Here are my specs

XP 2800+ Barton (no overclocking)
    1gb PC2700 (DDR333)
    ATI 9600XT (slight overclock)
    120gb 7200 hd
    40gb 7200 hd
    SB Audigy Gamer
    MSI KT4 Ultra Board

7. pronute

pronute

Are you using a 64 bit OS? If your not then your only using half the potential of your 64 bit processor.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/267391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice