1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New System ignoring hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vangrue, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vangrue

vangrue Thread Starter

First off, here's my current configuration:
    IP35 Pro Off Limits mobo (Bios v.14)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0 ghz, etc, Wolfdale)
    2x2gb G.SKILL DDR2 800 - PC2 6400, Dual Channel Kit
    EVGA 640-P2-N829-AR GeForce 8800GTS SSC 640MB gfx card
    Seagate 120gb SATA hdd 7200rpm (Primary- boot hdd)
    Maxtor 200gb SATA hdd 7200rpm
    Antec TruePower Trio 650w PSU
    NEC IDE DVD-R/RW (model unknown)

I just recently purchased and installed a bunch of new PC components, essentially making a whole new system in the process. I worked out the majority of the kinks by visiting my mobo-manufacturer's forums, but no one can help me with my latest problem.

After most of my hardware problems were fixed, it was time to re-install Windows Vista, this time onto a new hdd. Vista installed pretty easily overall, though I encountered a hiccup here or there. The problem is that same hiccup is occuring again now that Vista installed and I was able to boot into the OS and start setting things up.

You see, I got into Vista, decided to start reinstalling drivers and software, and ended up installing my video card drivers. Of course this required a restart after it was all installed, so I obliged. Now, here's the problem: My computer doesn't want to boot from the hard drive. It wants to boot from the DVD-R/Rom drive. Even when I go into the BIOS, change the boot device priorities, even when I set all three boot device options to harddrive, it tries for a second before defaulting to the optical drive.

Going into the BIOS, the three hard drives I've got are registering, however it seems as though the boot process has forgotten that they exist. I've tried letting the optical drive boot and using the Vista disc to repair startup, but it's still a no-go. I don't get how the system can go from recognizing the hard drives one moment to not recognizing them the next. All the connections are tight, have been checked half a dozen times, etc.

First Boot device in BIOS is listed at Hard Drive, and I also made sure that my boot-hdd is listed first under the HDD Boot Priority menu.

Any ideas?

2. saikee

saikee

Could be an option in the Bios set to prevent booting order changes? as a security measure?

3. vangrue

vangrue Thread Starter

Well, if that were the case then it wouldn't let me actually change the boot order, or at least it would set it back when I exited and went back into the BIOS.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the SATA drivers, but the drives are recognized in the BIOS and apparently during post, just not during the boot process. It's kind of odd. I don't know if reinstalling Vista on that drive will help or if the motherboard is just acting weird, or if I, for some reason, need to completely unplug and reattach all the hard drives. I really just have no clue, and the people over at the abit forums don't seem to know either. :/

4. vangrue

vangrue Thread Starter

Ok, so on a lark I tried changing the hdd boot priority list so the other seagate listed (they're both the same type of drive exactly) was first. And then I rebooted and it gave me the multi-boot screen. I don't know what's up. I could swear the one I just switched it to was the old drive... I'm just confused now!

I'm almost positive, as a pessimist at this stage, that soon the same situation will occur though. If anyone's run into a similar situation, please let me know. Thank you.

However, one thing remains. My 4gb of dual-channel ram is being reported by Vista as 3.25 gb, which is different, I'm pretty sure, than what the bios and post listed. Is this a result of the dual-channel thing, or a windows thing, or what? It can't be that one of the sticks isn't working because then I'd just have 2gb, right?

Edit: Ok, found out it's because this is a 32-bit copy of vista instead of 64-bit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/677806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice