New system, Intel or AMD please?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Eddey

Hey everyone,

Sorry if you've already seen this a thousand times, but I havn't built a computer for a while now and I'm a little out of touch.

I've noticed that there seems to be a big hoo-har about these new Intel core 2 Duo chips, and before I waste hundreds of pounds upgrading bits I would like to know if they have really over taken the latest like of Athlon X2s?

I've got about £300-500 to burn on a new CPU, mobo and ram so if anyone has any suggestions on what I need to get this beast back into gaming form please say.

Cheers,

-Eddey

Both are great companies, and no matter what people say, there is very little difference between the two. They exchange the leadership of the industry every few months it seems, but right now, Intel has the fastest processors.

The general consensus is that AMD's are better for gaming, but I've never really noticed THAT much difference. I have an Intel system, and would buy another one, but if I found a better deal on an equivalent AMD system, I'd probably switch.

Sorry, but I guess I didn't do much to answer your question! ;)

Eddey

That's agonisingly unbiased... Heh.

This is gonna be purely a gaming rig, i've already got a 7900 and now just need to know which chip to match it to...

Intel V AMD...

-Ed

I agree with Jones and I have both and see little difference. Go dual core if you are buying new is all, it makes a big difference. And buy a good quality motherboard, not Pc Chips, Ecs or any of that junk.

Eddey

Haha, I always buy quality, almost always Asus mobo's with either Crucial or Corsair RAM. It's a false economy buying cheap crap.

I'm thinkin something a little like this, if anyone would care to critic my choices,

Intel Core 2 DUO E6400
Asus P5B Delux
Not sure about RAM, maybe a Ballistix kit

-Ed

Very nice. If I had the money, I'd buy that stuff and not think twice. Good thinking about the Ballistix, too. That's nice RAM.

crjdriver

One word of caution. Make sure that ram is on the QVL on the asus site.

Eddey said:
Haha, I always buy quality, almost always Asus mobo's with either Crucial or Corsair RAM. It's a false economy buying cheap crap.

I'm thinkin something a little like this, if anyone would care to critic my choices,

Intel Core 2 DUO E6400
Asus P5B Delux
Not sure about RAM, maybe a Ballistix kit

-Ed
Asus isn't doing well and I just did one of these Core2 Duo and it is a really tight setup. I would run Intel mobo for safety sake and this one I used is a good one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121049

Eddey

A really tight setup? Amerislang for good?

What's happenin to Asus, lost their charm?

-Ed

Eddey said:
A really tight setup? Amerislang for good?

What's happenin to Asus, lost their charm?

-Ed
No what I meant is there is no margin for error, everything has to be just so...i.e. I always try the board outside case with ram, video and psu first and had no problem. When I installed board I kept getting "3 bells" from Hell and kept reseating the ram. When I finally realized there was little else I could do, I started Looking at the rest of the board and reseated everything only to realize the back case fan was accidentally off 1 prong on the plug. plugged it in correctly and off I went. In other words "be careful out there".

Hi I would recommend AMD I have had a 1400 amd and this one 1700+ and they have both been amazing!

joe_joe133 said:
Hi I would recommend AMD I have had a 1400 amd and this one 1700+ and they have both been amazing!
Wow, dude, those are really old :)

I vote for AMD because it's the only kind I've used for the last 8 years...

crjdriver

Both intel and amd work well. At my place i have two amd64s and an intel 940. All systems work without any problems.
The real key is to buy quality parts to go with your cpu. Stay away from the ecs / pcchips type of board and the $25 500W power supply; you should be fine.

I have one saying "Quality hardware and properly installed software do not reboot, freeze, bsod or anything else"

crjdriver said:
I have one saying "Quality hardware and properly installed software do not reboot, freeze, bsod or anything else"
That's a good match to my saying, the only way to get a virus or spyware is to install it yourself. I haven't run antivirus software or a spyware remover for 8 years and I've never once been "infected" by anything because I've been careful with what I do. It doesn't just happen by itself, ya know :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online