1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New system older hard drive and whine/ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chewie1012, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chewie1012

chewie1012 Thread Starter

I just built a new system.
    AMD AM2 x2 6000
    Used 4 year old western digital raptor 74 gig hard drive
    Asus Motherboard ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI
    4 Gigs Crucial Ballistix Memory
    With windows vista. Here is the questions. The hard drive never seems to stop working. It has about 25 gigs free. I have watched the task manager and the memory stays right around 1.25 gigs used. This hard drive has always seemed to run a bit more. When I first built a system with this hard drive I had two 36 gig raptors in a raid configuration stripped. They were noisy but I thought it was the configuration. Does vista require more hard drive activity? Does the page file have anything to do with the extra activity? This system is in my bedroom and I want it to be as quiet as possible. I have shared the memory with the video card. Also I am getting a quiet high pitched whine. Asus said to take all the components out and see which one is causing it. The whine doesn't kick in until windows is booting. I am thinking the onboard lan. Someone at newegg reviewed the board and had the same problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Vista does a lot when it is "idle", meaning not being used by you. The Task Scheduler kicks in for the search index, defrag, disk checks, and a number of other tasks along with self-diagnosis and repair.

Open the Task Scheduler and reveal hidden tasks. Schedule them to occur during a different time of day.

3. kev1952

kev1952

And have you done as Asus suggested? If the whine is in the hard drive then it's time to think about buying a new one. The most likely culprit is a fan. Open the case and using a long screwdriver try to establish where the noise is coming from. With the system running place the blade of the screwdriver onto whatever component you want to test and press your ear to the end of the handle (works like a stethoscope) and you will soon find out which part is causing the noise.

As for the drive activity - doesn't sound like a swap file problem. Check the swap file settings and make sure the virtual memory is set to "Let Windows decide...". But it sounds more like some sort of scanning action that is causing your problem. Check things like your A/V scanner and make sure that is not running background scans constantly. Do a full spyware/adware scan and clean out any nasties it finds. Try shutting down processes one at a time and see if that stops the activity (if it does then you'll have found the culprit).

4. chewie1012

Thanks for your quick replies. The system is brand new with a clean install of vista. I have actually listened with a stethoscope. I didn't listen to the onboard lan though. I found the newegg review and I think he may be right. I didn't think of it earlier but I was wondering if it was my switch. I have a switch behind the computer and I was wondering if there was some sort of interference. Also the sound doesn't kick in until windows loads. I am thinking that the when the network card starts getting activity it stars making noise. I will try what you both have said. Thanks. I have heard hard drives going bad and this one just sounds busy alllllllllllllllllll the time.
    Jerry
    PS are there a lot of tasks that are not necessary? Can I configure them to not run? Do you think 25 gigs free on my raptor is enough if I save all my files on the server? Would the system perform better with a larger hard drive?

5. chewie1012

Well I changed hard drives (bought a new raptor 150) and I still have the same thrashing type activity. The computer has been booted for about half an hour and it is running like a machine gun. It stopped for about 4 mins and then started back up again and has been going ever since. I sitll hear a bit of a whine but it seems to be less. I took a sound blaster audigy 2z card out and it seemed to go away. The problem is the whine doesn't really start until windows does. I have shut down tasks but that hasn't seemed to change anything. Any new ideas would be appreciated. I am beginning to think the whine might be the power supply. I am going to try and swap it out tomorrow. The sound the hard drive is making is the same one you get when your computer is booting but it never stops.

6. kev1952

kev1952

A new drive (and fresh install of Windows?) would not be making a "whining" sound. Use your stethoscope and have a close listen to the PSU fan and any other fan you have running before you go out and spend more money on a PSU. One other thing to check - disconnect your optical drive(s) and see if that takes the noise away.

Also, the fact that it only makes a noise once Windows loads is not unusual - the system now has a load on it and this would increase volume of the noisy component.

7. chewie1012

I did some research online and many people are having the same problem. The whine is no longer my biggest concern. It is the constant running of the hard drive. See.
    http://www.technologyquestions.com/...s-vista/10165-vista-runs-continually-why.html
    I disabled windows search and it is still constantly running. I will check the fans one at a time. I do think the power supply is a cheap one. It is a 500 watt apevia aspire case ps. I would really like to quiet this system down. I have 64 processes running and I need to find out which ones I can get rid of also. Thanks Kev!

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

9. chewie1012

Hi Rich,
    I am about to throw this os out the window. I have built many systems and never had the problems I am with vista. My raptor may be louder than most because of its speed. I turned off indexing and it still runs non stop. I went through and disabled as many unnecessary services as possible and it still continues with the thrashing. Shouldn't the computer settle down after about 15 - 20 mins? The last time I started the computer it was still chugging an hour later. Also defrag wasn't running.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Don't let it bother you. I have two Vista pc's. The Quad core runs and runs all the time no matter what I do and this one which is a Penryn Core 2 Duo Wolfdale never does that. The motherboards are both Gigabyte same board but 1 generation different and the programs onboard are exactly the same.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice