1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New System Specs: Final check before I put the order in

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AtreideS, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AtreideS

AtreideS Thread Starter

Hello,
    I'm about to purchase the following parts and build a nice shiny new computer for myself. But before I order everything, I thought I'd post the specs and ask for someone to look over it for any oddities or problems before I spend any money. I'm planning on a RAID 0 array for the hard drives. All the prices below are in Aussie dollars. ;) I don't have super amounts of cash to spend, so I'm going for good value.
    Code:
    CPU	             Athlon64 3200+	                                        $325.60
    Motherboard	Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro	                           $184.80
    RAM	Kingston HyperX 2x512Mb (1Gb) PC3200 CL2 Memory Kit	 $401.50
    HardDrive(s)	2x WD 120Gb 7200 8Mb Cache SATA 	              $261.80
    Optical Drive	LiteON 52x52x32/16x DVD/CDRW Combo Drive	 $66.00
    Monitor		Samsung 957DF 19" Flat monitor	              $365.00
    Case	            Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000  (400W PSU)	$248.60
    Sound Card	Creative Audigy PCI 5.1	                          $84.70
    Video Card	GE-CUBE ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB	             $349.80
    Mouse		MS Intellimouse Optical	                         $58.00
    Keyboard	Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard (Black) 	             $28.60
    Disk Drive	1.44Mb Floppy Disk Drive (silver)	             $16.16
    OS	             Windows XP (OEM)	                                       $148.50
    TOTAL COST = $2,539.06

(sorry for the horrible formatting, CODE seemed to be the best way to keep it neat... but it hasn't worked ;) )
    One thing I'm not sure on is the SATA cables. I am pretty sure the hard-drives do not come with SATA Serial ATA data cables, but not 100%. Also will I need to purchase SATA power connector to 4-pin Molex plugs for them? I've been reading this guide for socket 939 processors here http://www.hardwarezone.com/guides/amd-socket939/index.php?&pg=13 but it was inconclusive as whether they had to buy the SATA cables seperate. Can anyone clear that up for me? Thats about the only thing thats worrying me at the moment, but if anyone can spot some other huge blunder I've made (ie. RAM not being compatible or something) please don't hesitate to point it out. :)
    Oh, one last thing... I've read mixed reports about the stock fan/heatsink provided with the athlon64. Will it be sufficient? Or should I be looking at something a little better for cooling. At the beginning I don't plan to overclock, but maybe down the track. Would it be wise to just wait till then before going all out on cooling?
    Thanks for your help. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/265296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice