1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New System Specs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nubuilder, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nubuilder

nubuilder Thread Starter

Case-Antec SLK3700-BQE w/350W PSU
    Motherboard-Intel Desktop Board D865GBF
    CPU-Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHZ Prescott
    RAM-Kingston 512MB PC2700
    Hard Drive-Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM 80GB w/8MB cache
    Optical-Artec CD/RW
    Sony 3.5"
    Cooling-Zalman CNPS7700 Al-Cu, 4x120mm (2 side pannel inlet, 1 rear exhaust, 1 front intake) plus PSU fan

Plan to add:
    ATI Radeon 256MB (which ever model is best bang for buck)
    Creative Labs sound card
    DVD/RW Dual layer (once new ones come out[blue laser])

Any suggestions welcome (especially on video and sound cards)

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

For the RAM, you want a PC3200 dual-channel kit (e.g. a pair of 512MB sticks that have been tested together), PC2700 isn't fast enough for that system. If you plan to add more RAM later, I suggest buying all the RAM you plan to get now, as you often can't mix different brands of RAM in a dual-channel motherboard such as the one you list. For the soundcard, get a Creative Labs Audigy 2, there are several versions, find the one that suits you. For the graphics card I would recommend a Radeon 9800.

3. photolady

photolady

Optical-Artec CD/RW Change that to a LiteON, you would benefit that it would install and last longer than the Artec which I've found/used died within two weeks of install. Something more than a 350w power supply especially if you buy a Radeon 9800.

4. nubuilder

nubuilder Thread Starter

Too late! I already have the optical drives, RAM, case, PSU, and hard drive.
    I don't plan to add a video card until I get a 400W or 450W PSU.
    I plan to later on add more 512MB PC2700 RAM.(I got it because it was on sale)

Do you think the CPU is a good choice?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice