1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new system- what to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kerri Ann, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

id like to know what i need to do now that ive pieced together a computer- when i start it, the award bios setup utility comes up, and a window that says this- the system intruded, chassis opened or tempered before. please check system.
    it didn't say this the first time i started, only after i put the windows cd in it.
    how do i install windows on it?
    i also have win 2000, and windows me, ill install either one, i just need to know how.
    it works good- here's the specs on it:
    maxtor hdd- 20 gb 5T020H2
    asus motherboard tvus4x
    pentium III cpu 933mhz
    48x cdrom

2. McTimson

McTimson

You have to get into the BIOS, and make sure the settings are correct. If you want to install Windows off of the CD, then make sure it's set to boot off of the CD first, then hard drive second.

To get into the BIOS, hit Ctrl, Del, F10, or other such keys, one of those should work....

If the message comes up, try just hitting F1 or F2, and you may be able to continue anyway - unless something is physically wrong with the components inside.

3. hammerbill

hammerbill

Just a wild guess-do you have one of those boards that has a keylock lead in its panel connectors? I haven't seen them on many newer boards, but who knows? You may need to short the lead to convince the board that the computer is not being comprimised. Which is strange because these particular pins are usually "normally open" circuits. In light of that, you may want to check to see that you hooked the panel leads correctly. If you hooked, say, an LED to the keylock prongs, it could be triggering the alert.

4. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

well, ive never put one of these together, so maybe i did something wrong....
    im not sure about the keylock lead thingy, how would i know that? just so you know- i doubt this is a newer board, im not sure how new or old it is.

McTimson, i tried to change the boot order, i think i did it right... i moved the cd drive up to the top of the boot sequnce, saved the changes, then rebooted, but that same strange message shows up right away. i click ok (thats the only option i have) and all the changes are still there, but the cd didn't do anything.

5. greengeek

greengeek

There could be a setting somewhere in the BIOS to disable that warning. I saw one like it once on a Dell computer.

6. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

thanx greengeek, i hadn't thought about that...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice