1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New to Android; need to disable data but enable wifi

Discussion in 'Android Mobile Devices' started by phixgrrrl, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    I got a Galaxy Nexus as a hand me down from a friend. I used to have an IPhone 3g.
    For the iphone, since I use TMobile, I had a jailbroken device. I also have no data plan, I just use internet when by a WiFi access point and also my GPS.

Still use Tmobile and want to have the same setup as far as getting online--I don't want to inadvertently DL data while not at a wifi spot, since the charges are ridiculous. Tmobile says they have a block on my account so it cannot access data except for in wifi spots (as per my request--there was a "feature" they added last year I think where, instead of bringing you to a webpage that says basically if you want to go online, it costs so much per/mb and you have the choice of NOT going online, the new 'feature' went online without your consent, a move which raised holy hell w/tons of customers, including me, w/a huge extra charge that I got removed, w/out them admitting guilt..anyway, I digress).

But to be extra sure, if it's possible, I would like to just connect via wifi and be able to use GPS.
    These are the settings I have set so far:

Settings:
    WIFI: ON

Mobile Network Settings:
    Data DISabled
    Data Roaming DISabled

Wireless & Networks:
    NFC ENabled

Location Access:
    Access to my location: ON
    GPS Satellites: ON
    Wifi and mobile network locations: OFF

Email:
    Sync is OFF
    Email Notifications OFF

Phone>Accounts
    Auto sync app data: OFF

Is there anything I'm missing or any setting that isn't right?

2. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
  3. pochtd0

pochtd0

Well if the WiFi is turned ON and you're connected to a network with full credentials, there should not be any issues. I don't quite understand what's the error you're encountering.

4. MordyT

MordyT

Here is what I would do:
    Place phone in airplane mode, turn on wifi. That will keep cellular data radios disabled.

But that will also prevent you from using the phone or getting texts as well. You didn't indicate if that is what you wanted to do though.

Otherwise, you can get into the advanced service menu and switch the service I think as well.

5. Tergelet

Tergelet

You can try this: Go to Settings>More>Mobile Networks and uncheck "Data Enabled." This should turn off just your 3G radio.

6. ibrahim0512

ibrahim0512

well either I didn't pay attention that much to your post or you didn't even put what phone or tablet you have. I disabled 4G internet on my phone so I'm sure it's the same as disabling 3G!

1. Go to settings
    2. Click wireless and network
    3. Click Mobile Networks
    4. Make sure "Use packet data" and "Data roaming" are unchecked
    5.DONE!

The names of the settings should be pretty close to that because I don't know EXACTLY what device you have.
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice