1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New to Burning DVDs - Please help!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by joe501, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joe501

joe501 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have brought some Memorex DVD+RWs but I am having trouble burning DVDs.

The problem is that the PC will not recognise the DVD+RW disc. So every time I go to 'write these files to CD' I get stuck on the wizard when it asks me to insert the DVD, I have done but the PC is not recognising the disc.

I did it before using nero, I put a CD-R in and using Nero I made a CD which played video on my DVD player, but I am not sure if this is the same.

I looked on Device Manager and I have a SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-348B. I am running Windows XP Home.

Can I actually burn DVDs on this PC?

If not, what do I need to download/buy to get my PC recognising the DVD+RW discs and enabling me to burn a DVD.

2. stantley

stantley

The Samsung SM-348B is a CD-RW/DVD combo drive meaning you can read and burn CD's, but you can only read DVD's, not burn them. If you have Nero then you probably have the Nero Info Tool. Run that and it will show you all compatable formats.

To burn DVD's you'll need to get a new DVD burner which can replace the combo drive or maybe replace another drive that you have. If you want to keep what you already have you can add an external DVD burner.

3. joe501

joe501 Thread Starter

Thanks for clearing that up.
    Could you reccomend me a cheap external DVD burner please?

4. stantley

stantley

5. joe501

joe501 Thread Starter

6. stantley

stantley

7. joe501

joe501 Thread Starter

The internal ones are cheaper, which ones are easiset to set up and use? External or Internal?
    If the internals are complicated then realise I dont know anything about taking pcs apart.
    So which one of the two above should I buy?

8. stantley

stantley

The external ones are easier to set-up, all you do is plug in the power and USB line. The internal ones aren't really that hard to put in, you un-screw the old one, slide it out, put the new one in and reconnect the power and IDE cable. Here's a guide http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_cd.htm

The external ones sometimes come with software, but if you already have Nero then that's not much of an issue.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!