New to Group Policy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

callumgoldin

Hi there,

I have a network scenario which used to be solved with Go-Back, which would restore our 40 pc's in our school computer suite perfectly.

We would now like to build a clone and set some group policy lockdown and remove go-back, as its giving us problems. I have gone through and made most changes to the "adminstrative template" that would suit our scenario. When logging on as a test user this works perfectly. However these policys also affect administrators. Is this the way group policy works or is there a way to set the policys just for certain groups e.g 'domain users'.

Sorry no previous experience with group policy what so ever. I have mass reading for this evening but any tips in the mean time would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Cal

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
If you have a Domain, you should be setting the Policies on your Domain Controller and assigning them to specific OU' or groups.

If you make a local policy change on a computer it affects everyone on the computer, but any Domain Policy you make will override the local policy.

There is a way to make a local policy not apply to the administrator. There is a knowledge base article on Microsofts support site on how to do that. But if you are using a Domain you shouldn't be setting local policies for the most part. Very rarely would you set a local policy.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online