1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new to laptops

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bill T., Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bill T.

Bill T. Thread Starter

I have been told some laptops can be used for internet browsing without being connected to a cable or power source. I f this is so, please tell me what I should buy to achieve this. Thankyou.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A power source is never needed for Internet access. All new laptops have wireless networking capabilities which allow you to connect to a wireless router or WiFi hotspot. There is also the option of wireless broadband which requires a special modem from a service provider and usually involves a contract although some offer pre-paid options. Availability is dependent on where you live.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The power source is required, but one such power source is the battery. :D

4. Bill T.

Bill T. Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. What I really want to know is this: If I am in a parked car, for example; can i use the lap top to surf the net ?

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Depending on your location you may be able to use a USB or memory card slot based wireless modem based on cell phone technology as mentioned by DoubleHelix.

A small number of cities may offer city wide WiFi service. You would need to check with you local government about availability and pricing.

The last thing you want to do is park next to a place that offers free WiFI for their customers and borrow their WiFi connection. Some places consider that theft of service and you may find yourself on the wrong side of the law.

6. Bill T.

Bill T. Thread Starter

Thanks to all who have helped with this enquiry regarding laptops.

7. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    I use my laptop in my car with mobile broadband in the UK and it works fine. Batteries don't always last the 2 hrs that's claimed though.

Netbooks are another option, they're smaller and lighter but depending on the spec not necessarily much cheaper!

Richard.

8. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

You have to be in an area that provides internet for convenience .Many McDonald's hamburger joints provide the service now.

If you want to have it at home you have to buy an internet plan... then a router with wireless capabilities.
    50 bucks will buy the router..Now you can have internet throughout a typical house.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916468

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice