1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New to Mac

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by basdog69, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. basdog69

basdog69 Thread Starter

Hi. I decided to go with a Mac this Christmas after 7+ years of frustration:mad: with a PC. Viruses and being bogged down with anti-virus software, were the main reasons for my decision. Also, I thought it was a good time for a change, and so far, so good (y) . The Mac I purchased: OS X, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4MB L2 cache, 1 GB SDRAM, SuperDrive, and Mighty Mouse (among others.) There are many, many questions I would like to ask, but I will try to limit them to a few that I can think of immediately:

1. Recommendations for a good book (for a beginer/intermediate) to learn OS X/Mac.

2. The Mighty Mouse is not as responsive as I am used to. It seems that I have to move it great distances to move the on screen cursor. Is there a way to tweek the settings? Or other tips.

3. For a period of time, I was able to use this mouse to "right click" by holding down the Command or Control button (can't remember which) and clicking with the mouse. I may have inadvertently changed the mouse settings while exploring. Is there a way to restore default settings for the mouse, or is it something else?

4. How can I save a picture from a webpage without saving the whole webpage? I have tried numerous times and I am not figuring it out.

That should be enough to keep someone busy for at least 10min. Until I get a book, I will probably be back with some more questions.

Thanks for your time!!:D

2. VegasACF

VegasACF

Welcome to the fold. That's a nice machine. Methinks you'll like it.

I don't have a recommendation for this. I know most of the stores that sell Macs have a decent selection of such things, though. You might go to one and ask the most Mac-proficient employee (they're usually pretty forthcoming about knowing or not knowing the Mac OS).

Go to the System Preferences (it's in the dock by default, or is accessible from the Apple Menu, click on "Keyboard & Mouse" and select the options you wish to change. You may have to tinker with it to get it behaving the way you want, but with trial and error you'll get there.

See answer to Question #2.

If the picture is just a JPG or GIF (or another similar file type) just click and drag the picture off of the web page into whatever receptacle you wish (folder, desktop, etc.). Some web pages protect embedded images therein, and there may be ways around this, but I doubt you're dealing with such a thing. Alternatively, you can (once you solve Question #3) right-click or control-click and select the option for saving/downloading/whatever the image to a location of your preference. The exact command varies from browser to browser, so just look for the thing that seems to do what you want.

My best advice is to just try things. You're not likely to hurt anything that can't be healed. For the most part the MacOS behaves the same as the Windows OS. You shouldn't run into too many problems just in normal usage.

My pleasure, and, again, welcome!

3. shyataroo

shyataroo

it will take you maybe half hour to learn all you need to learn about mac os X. a book will go into technical detail about things you don't need to know (I doubt your going to be using the unix aspect) just as long as you don't delete anything you can't screw up your computer. and if you somehow manage to do something that you want to change back we can help. (Vegas and I, no one else [only kidding folks])

4. basdog69

basdog69 Thread Starter

I am having problems posting a reply. This is the third try. Thanks Vegas for the advice. I thought of a few more questions:
    1. Are the pictures and files I have accessable to the other users of my computer? For example, the photos I have in iPhoto- when another user logs on to the computer and opens iPhoto, is there a way for them to see my photos?
    2. Conversely, when I set up my firewall, will these settings be in effect when another user logs on or do they have to set up their own firewall settings, etc.?
    3. Do you know of a way to rename a whole group of pictures (for organization) without changing the original names? i.e. I have a folder of basketball pictures. Currently they are named 01.jpg, 02.jpg, 03.jpg, etc. I would like to rename all of the pictures in this folder: 2005bball.01.jpg, 2005bball.02.jpg, 2005bball.03.jpg, etc. without having to manually rename each pic.

Pre-Thank you!

5. shyataroo

shyataroo

depends on your privacy settings and also where you store your iPhotos if you store them in your pictures folder than yes. (I think, I am not sure cause I never used iPhoto, but there may be a setting to prevent others from seeing your iPhotos)
    if you are an administrator, I am pretty sure (once again never had the problem) that you can impliment it globally if not its a pretty simple matter of setting it up for the others, oh and MAC OS X has a built in firewall (that is better than windows XPs)
    yes but you need to have a 3rd party

your welcome...to the magical world of macs

6. VegasACF

VegasACF

Anyone else wondering just what kind of pictures these are? ;)

As for the renaming thing, Automator can do it. It ships with the OS. It's in the Applications folder. You'll just need to find the right script to do what you want. Look for something along the lines of "rename files". I'd look and find it for you myself, but I'm at work and should really be doing actual work-related things!

Let us know if we can help you further.

7. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

Recommend Pogue's "Mac OS X, The Missing Manual - Tiger Edition", altho' it is dated somewhat, covering versions of s/w that has been revised since publishing.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice