1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New To Networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by connordrew, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. connordrew

connordrew Thread Starter

I am considering buying 2 new computers and creating a network with them so that we can share ADSL broadband, printers etc.
    I know that I need 2 network cards which come with the comp and Cat 5 cable and a reuter or hub or somthing.

Am i better installing Windows NT for the main server, or use XP for both comps?

Thanx

2. ShenaniganS

ShenaniganS

I just finished my home network. Im running DSL on my network. If your just going to connect your two comps you really dont have to get a router or hub. Im running my network off my network card. If your planning on doing this you will need to get a over cross cable not a CAT 5 or 6. Dont make the same mistake i did and get the 5, get the cross over cable. I hope that i have helped but if anyones knows anything else or see something wrong pleaz correct me.

3. yellow_grrl

yellow_grrl

I use a network for 4 computers, and a ps2 and xbox, using a router. its simple, just connect all the computers to the router via the Cat5 cables, and create a local area connection on both computers. works well, and easy to do. Hope this is of some help, let me know if u want to know more :)

4. GillIT

GillIT

I also recommend using a router. Most routers also have simple built in firewalls. This will protect your computer from most harmful viruses.

The second wall of defense would be that your computers would be defined by an internal address, thus protecting yourself from those IP sniffing viruses. Most of them will target your router, but since it does not really have any file systems... it doesn't really do any harm.

Of course, this all goes out the window once routers/switches/hubs become more popular.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Make sure you obtain/buy the ADSL modem with an Ethernet interface, not a USB interface. Beg, borrow, or steal a broadband router, and you're in networking heaven. :D

Actually, the protection of the router will not go out the window when they're more common, since it simply blocks all outside unsolicited requests, and nothing done outside can change that. :D What will change is the virus/malware writers will get more clever and try to infect websites so you download something that will invite them in, since they can't get to you otherwise. :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice