1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New to networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dkcwec, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dkcwec

dkcwec Thread Starter

My husband & I just got DSL, or at least I am on DSL. His computer is in the garage, upstairs where his "playroom" is and is approx. 85 ft. from the house. We were sold a wireless adapter for his computer. The problem is there is too much interference, too many walls to go through. Any ideas. Will wireless even work? He is on XP and I am on ME. We were told that going phone lines would not help much because the speed would be cut considerably. Where can I go for information on what to do?

2. jghost5

jghost5

Hi, wireless should work but line of sight to the router is a big thing for signal. Depending on which brand you went with there are signal boosters for the base unit or gateway.
    Computers being differant OS's will not make a differance, but keep in mind to keep workgroup the same for both to share resources etc.

3. dkcwec

dkcwec Thread Starter

Understood from our DSL tech center that the boosters would not help much in this situation.

4. jghost5

jghost5

Hmm, looks like you might have to go wired then. Much better solution ad much more secure.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is not as big an issue as it might seem. What you probably need is at least one hi-gain antenna, perhaps two. If you cruise over to www.dlink.com and check in their wireless section, you'll see a number of antennas, several for outdoor use. You will need wireless equipment on both ends with the capability of attaching the antenna cable. I have a D-Link DI-614+ that I got on a rebate deal for $15, and it allows the external antenna connection. The D-Link PCI wireless cards also have an external antenna connection.

D-Link is by no means the only maker, I'm just using them for example, because they happen to have some hi-gain directional antennas that would be just the ticket to solve your problem. :)

6. dkcwec

dkcwec Thread Starter

Talked to another tech last night and they said a phone adapter would work. I think we are going to try that route for now. Anyone know a good one to get?

7. guitarist968

guitarist968

http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=34&scid=33

Check that out. Linksys makes pretty good networking equipment.

If you really want a good, smooth, problem free connection just get wired. All you need is a plain wired router (can be bought for about $40) and a long cable. I had a guy go under my house and do the wiring. He only charged $85 for the cable and the work.

8. JohnWill

Phone adapter? I don't even know what he's talking about. :)

9. Simpletown

Simpletown

Yeah, uhh, phone adapter?

The current set up right now I have is 3 computers in the basement, with the cable modem plugging into a Linksys wireless router. Then about 50 feet outside is the office building houseing 2 desktops and a latop, using one access point, going into a switch and feeding the computers. The internet connection is top notch for a wireless connection.

10. JohnWill

I worked with a guy that had a relative about 3/4 mile away that he wanted to share Internet with, we rigged him up with a pair of hi-gain directional antennas and wireless bridges, and they're happy as clams. I think the person that's recommending phone lines doesn't have any idea of the capability of WiFi when properly configured. :rolleyes:

11. smooth26

smooth26

another option if you really wanted to go wireless is to have 1 wireless router,& 2 access points..1 access point will act as simply an access point & the other is set as a repeater of signal.

12. Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

could you be talking about networking over your phone line? I have used the power adaptors before, to have a network in your house via enternal electrical wiring.. it works.. but.. ick...

another option if you really wanted to go wireless is to have 1 wireless router,& 2 access points..1 access point will act as simply an access point & the other is set as a repeater of signal.

that would be the "booster", when actually it's just a repeater/attenuator.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice