1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new to overclocking and need some help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bmacaveli, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bmacaveli

bmacaveli Thread Starter

aight well heres the deal...i figured out there really is no newer cpu for my machine that would make a bit of a difference...so now i wanna over clock mine and see what i can get out of it...also i can get another cpu just like the one i have fairly cheap on ebay...so i figured to just buy a few at a next to nothing price and see what i get out of them!..lol yeah i know, it sounds fun huh...see i dont wanna get a new mb and cpu and all that because not too long ago i just paid for a bios update, that cost me 60, and bought ram a while before that...going from 512 to 1.5gigs...so knowing that all would pretty much be wasted if i got a new mb, im just not gonna do it! i was wanting to get a decent cpu but can not...

i know how to overclock my cpu in the bios...but it acts different once windows starts, or tries to start! lol

if i only take it up just a few...it starts just fine....plays battlefield 2....but sometimes my machine locks up...im thinkin thats my cpu, due to the over clocking.

now if i turn it up even more say take my 2.53 and it'll be running at 2.9 or so then i get an error in the windows start saying the my configuration data has been currupted or missing...something like that anyway...

tried to reset the configuration data in the bios, but it doesnt make a difference when it starts....but once i take the cpu back down...it starts fine with no errors... done this a few times just to see if it could be anything else.

so really one of my questions is, is there a way you overclock the cpu in windows?? like with some kind of program or something...i know thats how u do ur gfx right?

any and all replies will be greatly appreciated!!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If overclocking it in the BIOS does not work then it won't work in Windows either. You're pushing either the CPU, the memory, or the chipset past what it can handle and thats why Windows won't start. Or the temps are getting too high. You need to go in smaller increments or see if you can overclock just the CPU and not the memory to see if its the memory that won't clock higher.

You might also see about buying a used P4 3.06Ghz processor with HyperThreading that runs on the 533Mhz FSB on eBay.

Or if you're into gaming spend the money on a separate video card, I don't know if you have an AGP slot but even a PCI version of the Radeon x1300 or Geforce 6200 would be better then the integrated Intel 845G Graphics. If you have an AGP slot then you have a greater choice of cards.

Why on earth did you pay for a BIOS update?

3. bmacaveli

bmacaveli Thread Starter

yeah i just bought a bfg 6800gt. but im waiting on the bigger psu to come still.

as for the over clocking in the bios, i believe its only doing the cpu...not 100% sure, but i think so. what do u think the max for a 2.53 would be? it started at 2.75.

and as for the 3.06Ghz with HT...would that make a big difference u think?? like really worth the money? because i do use my pc for encoding movies too...and the cpu really has a big impact on that.. i know withmy old compact 633 mhz...it took overnight and this pc only 4hrs....big difference....but im still lookin for a lil more speed with out spend alot of money....especialy not on new board...but one day!!

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you're increasing the CPU FSB then it would do both. But its easy enough to check, with only a minor increase boot into Windows, then use CPU-Z to check the CPU and the memory frequency: http://www.cpuid.com/

That video card will do 100 times more for gaming more then squeezing out a few hundred megahertz out of the CPU.

I'm surprised how expensive the 3.06Ghz HT P4's still are in eBay. Not worth the price.

You can see a differences in this chart: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2004.html?modelx=33&model1=25&model2=28&chart=28
    Might also give you an idea of what gains you'll get by overclocking, not significant considering the potential stability and heat issues.

5. bmacaveli

bmacaveli Thread Starter

the heat issues im not real conserned about...does seem to affect it much...when i had it running at 2.75 it didnt change the temp one bit.

but yeah the 3.06 ht p4 that ur talkin about are still real pricey....thats why i was gonna get one kinda like mine because i found a few startig at $10 and under...ya know...just to play around with incase something were to go bad..

but im gonna try changing it and see what cpu z says...

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I wouldn't buy one yet, it'd be pointless to waste the money at this point.

7. bmacaveli

bmacaveli Thread Starter

yeah thats what i thought

and yeah u were right....cpu-z says both now running at 135mhz instead of the 133.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most boards aren't designed for overclocking, especially ones based off the Intel 845G value chipset.

9. bmacaveli

bmacaveli Thread Starter

ok...now i got my new 400 watt psu....and got it in. anyone ever put one of these in an HP? i remove everything...including the MB!! but its in. now since i have this new psu...does this affect the way things run... i tried overclocking before but it just mad my PC crash. it would start then just shut down. but right now its been up and running at 2.70Ghz from 2.53 all night. no crashes...no freezing... no BSOD...can this be because its getting more power now or something?? also...there really isnt much room in my tower for all these damn wires on the new psu...how bad is it that there just kinda all hanging there... i have a whole extra line with 3 4-pins....the fdd power plug...and one for something else that im not sure what it is....they wont short nothing out by touching it, will they?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Just tie up the extra wires as best you can. It helps airflow and cooling if its tidy.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/615115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice