1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New to overclocking... please help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davido-23, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davido-23

davido-23 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm running:
    Windows 8.1
    Asus Z97 Pro mobo
    Intel I7 4770K
    Plextor 256gb pcie SSD and additional data drives.

Hi, I'm trying to overclock my 4770k to 4.5ghz... but I keep getting whea_uncorrectable_error and the system crashes. I've tried Asus AI suite 3 which automatically overclocks to 4.1ghz but again I get the same error, this is my first time with overclocking so would appreciate any advice or settings etc, many thanks, David.

2. davido-23

davido-23 Thread Starter

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, have you read the guide at the top of the forum for overclocking? If not, do so.

Next you need to understand that there is NO safe overclock; ALL overclocking entails some degree of risk. If you are comfortable with the above, we can attempt to overclock your system.
    I have a simple rule in regard to OCing; "Never overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace"

Before doing anything, post the exact ram you have installed along with the exact pw supply you have installed. In addition, download and install asus probe. Probe is part of the asus suite and is available on the support page for your mb.

Are you running the stock intel cooler? If so, that is going to somewhat limit your overclocking.

One other item before we begin to OC; just because someone else was able to achieve a given clockspeed [in this case 4.5gig] does NOT mean you are going to be able to achieve the same OC. Every chip is different along with all of the other variables; ie pw supply, case cooling, type of cpu cooler, etc, etc.

4. davido-23

davido-23 Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay... been on my hols...

My Power supply is a Corsair CP-9020055-UK RM Series RM750 80 Plus Gold 750W ATX/EPS Fully Modular Power Supply Unit

My RAM is HyperX Beast Series 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR3 CL11 DIMM Desktop Memory Module (Kit of 2)

My CPU cooler is a Corsair Hydro Series H100i All-In-One 240mm Digital High Performance Rad Liquid Cooler for CPU.

My case is a Bitfenix Ghost with Corsair Air Series AF120-LED 120mm Quiet Edition High Airflow LED Fan - Blue (Dual Pack) at front, 2 x bitfenix 120mm fans at bottom next to power supply and as an exhaust.

My OS is on the Plextor PX-AG256M6E 256GB M6e PCI-Express Solid State Drive with adapter

I've got 6 data drives running also they are:

1 x Crucial m500 960gb SATA 6gbs
    1x W/D Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6GBS
    1x " " " 2 TB SATA 6GBS
    1 x W/D Green 3TB SATA 6GBS
    2 x 1TB Hitachi SATA 6GBS 2.5 dirves.

Any help would be appreciated many thanks.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Start with upping the multiplier with the smallest amount your board will allow. Next run a stability test with prime95 for at least 10min. If it passes, again up the multiplier and run prime95. Keep repeating until you reach the point where you either get an error OR your temps reach the point where the cpu starts to throttle itself.

Since you have a K series cpu, there is no need to up the bclk; just leave that at the stock setting.

Note you can have the mb auto overclock your system however IMO ALL overclocking should be done manually in the bios/uefi. Up to you however you do have this option.

Again remember to monitor your temps while you run the test.

AND remember the first rule of overclocking. DO NOT overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1130651

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice