1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New to overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by psaros, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. psaros

psaros Thread Starter

Specs:
    Windows XP Media Center
    448 mb ram
    1.7 ghz
    nvidia geforce 6150 le

Hi, I just downloaded coolbits because I wanted to overclock my pc for gaming, but i'm new to it and don't know what values I should put for core clock frequency and memory clock frequency. What is the maximum values for my pc so I don't damage it?

Thanks.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The defaults set by the manufacturer are the settings that will prevent damage to the system. Beyond that, you are pretty much on your own and taking a risk.

You might, however, benefit from others' experiences:

www.overclockers.com

3. psaros

psaros Thread Starter

That doesn't really help, and defeats the purpose of the whole thing... isn't there a max setting for my specs? Anyone?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, not really. It really depends on what parts you have. FWIW, I would not use a software app; adj settings in the bios.

The very first rule of overclocking is do not do it with parts you cannot afford to loose. If you are comfortable with that, then continue.

Download an app called prime95 [this is used for checking stability]

Now enter the bios and adjust the fsb up a few Mzh ie from say 200 to 215. Save settings and restart. Now run prime95 for at least 1hr to check for stability. If it is stable, you can up the fsb again and repeat the procedure. Note you will probably have to use a lower ram divider since you end up OCing the ram as well. If your board has a pci lock, engage it and that keeps the pci bus from being OCed.

Watch your temps since OC does increase temps. Usually upping the fsb does not increase temps too much. When you find the fsb setting that returns errors, you can either back off to a known stable OC or if you are really brave, you can up the cpu core voltage, chipset voltage, and ram or vdimm voltage. Repeat the stability test.

Some things to remember.
    1 Even experienced OCers can fry parts so refer to rule 1

2 If you ever update the bios, return ALL settings to stock before you update the bios.

3 Return settings to stock for installing the os as well.

4 Do not be surprised when your system runs stable for a while and then becomes unstable. Parts age and OCing them ages them faster.

5. Jones

Jones

Overclocking is certainly not for everyone or every machine, but if you are really interested in trying it, I'd suggest reading this guide:

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/guide...uide/index.htm

And then these for some more info:

Part 1 - http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/...-guide-part-1/

Part 2 - http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/..._guide_part_2/

This should give you the basics on how-to and whether you should even try. Trust me, this is not something you want to rush in to. Once you have read those, let us know if you have any questions, and I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck, and let us know how you make out!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice