1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New to repairing Laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jlabit, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

My daughter-in-law just called and told me her laptop fails to power up. I haven't looked at it yet. She is bringing it over tomorrow. I have built and repaired my own and other family members desktop computers for quite some time and feel comfortable working with them. However, I have never in my life even owned a laptop computer. The one she owns is a Compaq Presario F756NR. They don't have a lot of money and I told her I would do some research on the internet and see if I can figure out how to troubleshoot this unit. I am not looking for specific info right now, as I haven't looked at the unit yet. Anyone have a website I might go look at to get a good idea where to start with disassembling this thing and troubleshooting? I wish it were a desktop. Thanks.

2. raybro

raybro

A good place to start would be getting a manual. Click here to download the manual.

Raybro

3. srhoades

srhoades

Take the battery out and see if it will power with just the AC adapter. Then make sure the AC adapter has power. Often people twist up the cord when they transport it and over time it breaks the connection in the cable. Next make sure the AC plug is snug in the laptop and doesn't wiggle around. If the connection has been broken there you can either replace the AC jack or you have to re-solder it (depending on the laptop).

You should be able to find videos on youtube for any specific repairs that you need to do.

4. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. I am going to troubleshoot it like I would a desktop. Unfortunately, I have no spare parts to sub in. That area you mentioned with the power input sounds like a good place to start. I'll keep posting once I get my hands on it. Thanks again.

5. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

Just received the laptop at my house. When the AC adapter is plugged in, you get a blue light where it is plugged in, so appears the adapter is providing power. With AC power on, when turning on the power switch, the on light and the rest of the lights stay illuminated for approximately one second and then it shuts off. This happens with both the battery in place, and with it removed. If this were a desktop, I would suspect a dirty CPU cooler causing overheating. What are your thoughts on a good place to start with this machine? Again, thanks for reading.

6. srhoades

srhoades

Unplug it, take out the battery, hard drive, and RAM (they are usually very accesable, a panel for each). Put them back in and try booting with just the AC power, no battery.

7. parttimetechie

parttimetechie Banned

Take out the battery, unplug it from AC power, and hold the power button for sixty seconds. Then plug AC power back in and see if it boots

8. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

Thanks for your response guys. She brought it over tonight and I did a quick lookover, which I reported above. When she left, she packed it up and took it home with her. Guess she's afraid I'll break it worse. lol She is supposed to bring it back tomorrow at 2:00 PM and promises to leave it this time. I will do those things tomorrow PM and report back to you. Thanks again.

9. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

I performed both of the tasks you listed above and still have the same problem. The blue light on the power switch, a blue light on the touchpad, and several blue lights on the front will come on for about one second, and then everything shuts off. I listened for fan noise, but did not hear anything. I worked around jet aircraft for 30 years in the U.S. Air Force and don't hear very well, but I could not hear a fan running.

10. parttimetechie

parttimetechie Banned

Have you tried using a can of compressed air and blowing out the fan ducts?

11. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

No I haven't. If this were a desktop, I would disassemble it and just clean the cooler. Don't know how to do that on this one. I believe I see the inlet and outlet for the CPU cooling. I'm going to Walmart to pick up a can of air and will try that this afternoon. Thanks.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/990439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice