1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New to Security

Discussion in 'General Security' started by BharatNT2IE, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BharatNT2IE

BharatNT2IE Thread Starter

Hello,

I want to be a real computer geek, i want to know all the nooks are corners of virus , malware, bug etc etc. I want to know , how i get started. I mean there must be several geeks out here. Could any one tell me how do i learn about basics. Any books, any good resource.

Thanks

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

A good place to start is with the study materials that goes into a obtaining a junior certificate in the security business called Security+. You can query for books to read about that topic at the online bookstore Amazon.com.

I couldn't tell you much about viruses, but I can show you the defenses that are available to Windows and other tools. Know that those defenses have been made to defend against viruses and hackers. Have a read of my website below. It shows you how to harden Windows 7 from installation onwards, what security software to get and how to configure Windows to obtain good security. Any feedback is welcome.

3. BharatNT2IE

BharatNT2IE Thread Starter

Thanks Lunarlander who ever you are.

Yes , i heard of those COMPTIA A+, Security +, so this is a good place to start right. Thanks for that, but not only do i want to be "certified", but want to be "certifiable" . I want to be really good, at it. But thanks for the tip, i know exactly where i can start.

Yes, May be Hardening process, is something i need. I am not sure about S/W level FW, but i am familiar with the ACL's , may be i can take a look at it.

If it was a Junior Networking site may be i had the right to comment , but since this is unfamiliar water for me, i cannot comment on the content itself, everything is new everything is exiting. However, i can comment on the structure, may be you could have Page Numbers, or link files or topic base drag down boxes, of course, i always believe in content, which i think you have a lot!!!!! But could be a bit more easier on the eyes.

Thanks
    NT2IE

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Thanks for the comments, I'll try to put in a table of contents with hyperlinks, if thats what you mean.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

The security field is wide, and there are several specialties that you can get into. 1) Penetration testing ( Break and Fix ). These are white hat hackers that come in and attack your system, then if they find a path thru, will tell you how to stop or mitigate the attack. 2) Auditors. These guys come and examine your system and tell you about defense practices that you should follow. Some might use automated tools to scan your network as well and tell you what you should fix. There are several institutions and gov organizations that mandate members to secure their networks, and mandate audits every year. Eg . Payment card industry (VISA, Mastercard etc), and HIPAA. 3) Exploit and Report. Some white hat hackers develop exploits, and sell them to Intrusion Detection Systems vendors. Or they go attend competitions and win prizes. And some just report the weakness to the vendor. Google, for example, pays for security bugs, while Microsoft does not. 4) Security administrator. These guard a company network, help set security policy and enforce it. They also fight fires as they occur. They are also in charge of patching, windows updates and related testing. They also collaborate with auditors and fix security holes. They also assist with drafting disaster recovery plans. They are also the ones that configure firewalls and network security appliances and harden systems. And they are also the ones that monitors all security logs from different systems and respond to IDS inicidents. 5) Secure Software Development. These serve as security advisor & tester to the in house programming team to make sure the company develops secure software. 6) Security Researcher. These analyse new viruses and malware, and develop signatures and removal tools for antivirus firms. 7) Cryptographer. These perform research in encryption algorithms, writing better ones and break existing ones. I'm sure I missed out some important roles, but the ones listed are common ones.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice