1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New to the site, need help with computor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Treul, Mar 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Treul

Treul Thread Starter

Hey, I've been running off a PC i built a couple years ago and now i've had the hankering to upgrade it by putting in some new videocards. They worked fine for a while, but were getting a bit hot - so i reseated them and *may* have knocked the motherboard around while shuffling them about, and now the computer wont even POST.

The fan on my PSU is spinning, everythings plugged in where it should be, the computer lights up and the fans start spinning, i even replaced the videocard with the one i was using before but the monitor still stays black.

I'm wondering if I inadvertently destroyed my motherboard and need a new one or there might be some way to fix this? I tried re-seating the battery but still to no avail. The computer seems to power up but tapping the power button at the front doesnt do anything, only after holding it down for long enough will it power down that way. I figure it couldn't be the CPU either since the motherboard is capable of doing POST without it, but I don't know, what do you guys reckon?

Here are the specs atm.
    -GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P FX (AMD AM3+ FX / AM3 970 SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 ATX DDR3 1600 Motherboard)
    -HyperX FURY 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module Kit, White
    -AMD FX 8350 Black Edition "Vishera" CPU (8 Core, AM3+, Clock 4.0 GHz, Turbo 4.2 GHz, 8 MB L3 Cache, 125 W)
    -2 of MSI AMD RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC 8 GB GDDR5 256-Bit Memory DVI/DP/HDMI PCI Express 3 Graphics Card - Black
    -Seasonic SSR-850FX FOCUS Plus Gold 850W (80+Gold, ATX 12V) PSU/Power Supply - Black
    -One sad little man who thinks hes fried his motherboard

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

You need to know whether your system board is rev 1.0 or 2.0 and it's printed on the board down in the bottom corner near the card slots.
    If it is rev 2.0, here is the manual:
    http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-970a-ds3p_v.2.x_e.pdf
    On page 13 is the front panel connector and you need to have a computer speaker connected to the system board so we can hear any beep codes. For example, if you take out all of the video cards and then turn it on, you ought to hear what is most often one long and two short beeps. Are you getting any beep codes?
    Do you, perchance, have a PS/2 keyboard we can try?

3. Treul

Treul Thread Starter

It's connected to the speakers but not but a single lowly beep comes out. The optical drive even works, ejecting and retracting on pushing the button. Sadly no PS/2 keyboard in house.

4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

That's a shame. Since 1982 when you turn on a PC, all three of the XT or PS/2 keyboard lights turn on while the PC runs a few tests and then the PC initializes the keyboard which usually results in the Num-Lock key being lit. If all three lights just stay lit, the system board has probably been fried.
    Unfortunately, the keyboard lights thing doesn't work with USB keyboards.
    P.S. I was talking about the speaker connector on the system board not any external speakers you may have plugged in. External speakers don't work until Windoze boots.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice