1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New to Video Card upgrades, need some advice...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daemonn789, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Daemonn789

Daemonn789 Thread Starter

I want to upgrade my video cards! And I need some expert advice, so obviously, this is the first place I look for advice.

I'm running an ASUS P5NSLI Mobo - with a - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.3 GHz Processor - 3 GB RAM - 450 Watt PSU- and currently 2x Nvidia 7600 GS cards.

Do I buy:

A) One (1) 8800GTX Card

or

B) Two (2) 8600GTS cards and run SLI

I dont know the pros / cons of going in either direction. I do have alot of computer knowledge, but I've never had much experience with video cards and the differences between running SLI or just 1 powerful card... I would automatically think of the saying "two heads are better than one..."

Thanks in advance...

=D

2. Daemonn789

Daemonn789 Thread Starter

Bump for some help!

=P

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

I think we need to know what you will be doing with pc to answer that. I mean for what I do, i would never even think about 2 video cards, but what will you do with it?

4. 00trav

00trav

my advice,
    go with the single 8800gtx, and later when the price drops get another and put it in sli

or better yet get two 8800gt's
    http://techreport.com/articles.x/13479

i wish i could afford to get one

5. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

Also, 450 watts PSU is not enough to handle very high end graphic cards. You should go for at least 550 Watts.

6. 00trav

00trav

true, i didn't look at the psu, the high end cards are very power hungry

7. Kartracer087

Kartracer087

I have a single 8800 GTX and I like it a lot for gaming. I'm running it on a 500 Watt power supply (make sure you have enough current too for it, I have 2 12V rails at about 18 amps, so that good) and it works great. About the only 2 things I can say that are bad about it is that it is very large and uses two pci express power adapters. Luckily, my power supply came with two and the graphics card included molex to pci adapters. Comparing my performance to my old Gateway system with 2.2 ghz and a 6800 card, I was getting around 30 frames with everything turned up in Rfactor racing game and on my new system I get around 300!!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice