1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New to webdesign...need some help please

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by ff18wife, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ff18wife

ff18wife Thread Starter

Hi all...
    I'm new to webdesigning and just took over updating and maintaining hubby's fire dept website. So far, so good...just able to edit text and few other things.

The site is hosted on Yahoo Geocities. I have no idea what program was used to create the site.

Here's my issue right now :
    A couple of the pages have background music which shows up as .swf files in the directory. I have an mp3 song that I need to put on one of the pages as background music and need help with what the code should be. I tried copying the code from one of the other pages with the music, just replacing the file name but it didn't seem to work. Doesn't need to loop, player can be hidden.

I did download Yahoo Site Builder with the intentions of replacing the site that is there now just because it is much easier to use. This site also had me a bit confused since their help file says they support mp3 but when I went to add the file, it wouldn't let me.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I hesitate to open the site up in another program for editing in case something gets messed up. I don't have the skills yet to just recreate it and get it back and running fast enough.

Thanks!!!:eek:

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi! If you post a link to your site, we can check out the HTML and see what's going on. :)

You can used the object tag to embed your MP3 file. That site also has a link to an "live" example of embedding a MP3 file. Look at the "audio/mpeg" test case. :)

You can also try the Google or Yahoo Flash players to embed your MP3 file in your website.

I haven't used the Google or Yahoo Flash players but the idea sounds neat. :)

Peace...

3. ff18wife

ff18wife Thread Starter

tomdkat -

Thanks for the info. Here is the link : www.shoholafirerescue.com .

I will definitely check out the links you mentioned. Right about now, since I'm just starting to learn this, I will take all the help and suggestions that I can get.

Thanks again!!!(y)

4. tomdkat

Thanks for the link. I'm "bumpin" the tune on the site now. Great choice in the Ohio Players... (y)

The site is currently using an "embed" tag to embed the song that plays now, I believe:

Code:
    <embed src="HomePg.swf" loop="true" autoplay="true" hidden="true"></embed>

The "object" tag replaces the old "embed" tag so you should be able to get your MP3 file embeded in a similar fashion as the current Flash song without must hassle.

EDIT: There also looks to be some incomplete table tags in the HTML and possibly some unnecessary nesting of tables. We can work through this stuff as you're ready to do so. :)

Peace...

5. ff18wife

ff18wife Thread Starter

Thanks. I will give the object tag a try.

I have no clue about incomplete tags....another "something" for me to "Google" and read up on....

6. Sequal7

Sequal7

You should really try to use an embedded flash player with a mute or volume button or an embedded file, music in sites can be very annoying and alot of users don't like it. They will leave the site if it is there and no option to turn off or mute is available.

7. tomdkat

I do agree with providing a method for turning off the music since not all will want to hear it or they might be viewing the site in an environment where they won't want others to hear the music. I'm not sure I agree with using a Flash player vs using the default media player for embedding the music though.

Peace...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice