Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New to Wireless Mobile Broadband

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Aussie Shel 
#1 ·
Hi guys
Just signed up with Blink Mobile Wireless Broadband and am enjoying better browsing after years of speeds of 40K avg optusnet dial-up.

Questions:

1. What is my options concerning accessing newsgroups (Usenet) as my Forte Agent now doesn't work since changing over?.

2. E-mail access via my outlook, do I delete the dial-up optusnet mail account now, and if so what do I setup as the email acct to download mail to my hard drive & program I use for e-mail?.

3. Does anyone know if this provider or one's offering the same service, does use a part of your data limit while you are on-line but now browsing (I get up and have dinner leaving connect open)?.

4. Now it's up and running, do I simply delete all references to my former Optusnet dial-up (Connection, I.E Settings, ete)

Any other tips or advice most thankful for as the site I went to, had not that much to really educate a newbie to WBB.

Cheers
Shel

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Don't know; but it looks like this site of free servers should help.

2. I assume you lose your dial-up ISP's email when you drop them so it makes sense to remove that account information. New account information would depend on your new account. Does your new ISP offer email service? If not, you can get one of the free services--Hotmail, Yahoo!, gmail, etc.

3. Not sure I understand the question. If you are asking whether all downloads count against your data limit regardless of how close you are to the computer the answer is 'yes.' Simply being connected but downloading nothing would not count. Unless you have a limit on connect hours.

4. Has the service ended, or is it still good for a few more days? Do they give you any grace period before closing your email account?

#4 ·
1. Don't know; but it looks like this site of free servers should help.

No unfortunately...guess I'll try on line subscribing to a USENET provider, thanks for the info.

2. I assume you lose your dial-up ISP's email when you drop them so it makes sense to remove that account information. New account information would depend on your new account.
Thanks makes sense.

Does your new ISP offer email service?
No, doesn't look like it but yes I've started contacting everyone to email via a on-line acct and I just download it to my outlook.

If not, you can get one of the free services--Hotmail, Yahoo!, gmail, etc.

3. Not sure I understand the question. If you are asking whether all downloads count against your data limit regardless of how close you are to the computer the answer is 'yes.'
Simply being connected but downloading nothing would not count. Unless you have a limit on connect hours.
Sorry, I was asking if Uploads as well as downloads counted in total usage.

4. Has the service ended, or is it still good for a few more days?
No, still good for month.

Do they give you any grace period before closing your email account?
Not sure, but my days of dial-up are done for now, as I signed up for the 12 month plan so am stuck for the year anyhow.

Thanks for the assist.

#7 ·
just keep the whirlpudlian's in mind for future ISP etc. ref. in aus.

cheers!
My friend absolutely, I've decided to take it back as I'm not impressed with the data additional blocks as I've will otherwise need to pony up $$$ as I'm half way though my data limit for the first month (2Gigs) of activation - the kicker is their Nomad Plan I signed up with quoted the first 6 Months of 8 Gig data limit (doubling the usually 4gig every month), reasoned I signed a 12 Month contract.

So WHY limit customers on their first month, you think they would be trying to impress you to stay.

Anyway, see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.