1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New to XP , encountred 2 issues...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by help_meee, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. help_meee

help_meee Thread Starter

I've been using Win2000 for quite a while and i thought of switching to XP.

anyways.. the OS seems better so far but im having two annoying problems :

1. Whenever i try to update windows , it searches for update then gives me an error telling me that i can't update !! why is this happening? and is there a windows .exe i should allow to access the net in order to install updates???
    2. Some kind of fonts shows the text as if it wasn't completley filled with its color , like some letters' border seems a bit blurred. Although this doesn't seem as a serious issue for you guys , but it really hurts my eyes when reading a whole article with that kind of font. This blurry-letter-issue mostly show on bold fonts.

This problem didn't exist in win2000 and i don't wanna lose my sight for XP. Any suggestions?? im using a CRT with Direct x 8.1 if that matters..

[edit] see the "ads by google" by the side of this thread? the underlined blue texts have kind of blurred border.[/edit]

**EDIT** i found an even-worse text display. It was in my favorite site. Check http://ps2.ign.com , scroll down and check the skyblue text of topics in "latest headlines" and "latest media" panes. THEY HAVE BLURRED BORDERS TOO !!! :eek:

any help will be much appreciated :)

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

3. help_meee

help_meee Thread Starter

thanks mike5532g. That didn't directly fixed the problem but it had lead me to what was causing it. All i did is go to :
    Start -> settings -> control panel -> display -> appearance -> effects

and unchecked the ClearType thing.

one problem solved ... any ideas about the update problem??

4. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

What is the exact error message it gives?

are you clicking the icon on the start menu for update?

Try going to microsoft.com and following the links for update.

5. mike5532g

mike5532g

6. pjblevin

pjblevin

When you "switched" from 2000 to XP, did you do it as an upgrade, or did you do a clean reinstallation? If you did it as an upgrade, it could result in a can of worms. If that's the case, get all your personal stuff saved, then format & install XP.

pjblevin

7. help_meee

help_meee Thread Starter

i formatted my drive and installed Windows XP and not upgrade 2k.

i also tried all the methods here and it didn't work :( :
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836941

the error number is Error 0x80072EE2 so if anyone knows other ways to fix this please let me know.

8. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Well... You can manually download the updates from the Microsoft download center. But thats kinda a PITA...

9. 66Stang

66Stang

I can't remember at the moment but if you fail to activate windows can you not receive the updates, or am I think you can't receive their technical support...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!