1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New TV freeview problems

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by abstracts, Oct 2, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

I just bought a new TV with freeview built in. But my old freeview box which is needed to record programmes, doesn't seem to work. It worked perfectly fine with my old TV (no freeview built in) with an outdoor aerial (antennae) plugged into the box and a HDMI cable linking the box with the TV. All I'm getting with my new TV with same set up is a blue screen. I hope someone could offer some advice. Cheers.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    has the PVR (old freeview) box got a loop through aerial (make and model)
    you need the aerial going to the PVR then the aerial goes out of that box and into the TV aerial box - then tune in the TV for freeview
    that way both boxes have the aerial connection and you can switch to the TV and watch programs
    then also switch to HDMI for the PVR and watch programs as well as record them

3. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

Don't know what a loop through aerial is, but the box it's self is a Philips Freeview+hd box, about 4 years old. The set up which worked well with my other TV was, outdoor aerial connected into my freeview box, and then a HDMI cable coming from the freeview box into a HDMI connection in my TV. There wasn't a need for an aerial going into the TV as well.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    ok, that should still work OK , exactly the same connections

how many hdmi on the TV (make and model of the TV) - make sure on the AV/EXT selector on the TV remote - you have selected the correct HDMI input

often TVs will detect when the device is powered up and switch to that hdmi

the loop through , is an aerial in socket next to an aerial out socket
    then you can connect the TV to the aerial tune in and use standalone without the PVR if ever needed
    I have when there are three things on all at same time, and i want to record 2 - i do that on the PVR and can then watch ANY channel on the TV , rather then be restricted to whatever channels are on the same MUX as the ones recorded

5. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

There is only one HDMI connection on my box, there are two on my TV, HDMI 1, followed by in brackets, either (Arc) or (Aro), I can't work out which, and a HDMI 2 connection. The TV is an entry level Bush DLED32165HDY 32" screen model. It is worth mentioning, I have tried putting the connection in the HDMI2 connection, also without success.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  7. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

Everything is plugged in and switched on correctly. Pressing the HDMI 1 tab from the Source button brings up a plain blue screen, with nothing on it at all.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  9. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

No it's the same cable. I don't have any more devices using HDMI. I will go out tomorrow and buy a new cable.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it may not be the cable - it may be the PVR which is surprising since its 4 years OLD
    it may also be the TV

plug the aerial into the TV and check it can tune in to the freeview
    you will need to scan for new channels

are you in UK?

11. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

Sorry about the late reply, but I've been at work. Yes the built in freeview works perfectly fine, first installation went OK, installing all the stations. Yes I am in the UK.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thats ok,
    t least you know the TV works - so possible issues
    1. the TV HDMI doesn't work
    2. the pvr is not support due to versions, a call to bush support may help
    3. the cable - unlikely
    I would give Bush a call now and explain the issue and see what they have to say
    or a friend who has a DVD player with HDMI or games console , you could borrow and test or take the TV to them

13. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

OK. Will do that. Many thanks.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice