1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Used System - Upgrading Advise Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skydog287, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skydog287

Skydog287 Thread Starter

Hey there, I got this used system from a friend for 50 bucks, it looked decent so I figured why not. Currently running Linux Ubuntu because he didn't have an OS disc for it, planning on doing a dual boot thing once I find my windows 2000 disc and use the xp upgrade disc he gave me. Anyway I wanted to get your opinions on what to upgrade.

So far I've decided to purchase some new ram and am thinking of getting a gig of WINTEC AMPO from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161675
    Also I have a question, can I combine that 1gig ram with my current 512? I haven't tried it before, so I was wondering...

Here is my current system info:
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.86 Ghz
    512 MB Ram
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    80gb and 120gb hard drives
    Motherboard: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/KT3Ultra.htm

For more details on the computer I've uploaded an rtf document with system specs here:
    http://www.electronicfiles.net/files/5387/HardInfo%20Report.rtf

This is my first time ever really "revamping" a computer so any help and advice appreciated! Thanks.

2. ProWFP

ProWFP

No, you can't, you want to buy DDR2, your mobo (Motherboard) is DDR, if you get some DDR, you can combine it.

P.S: keep in mind that DDR max frequency is 400mhz. Anything above 400mhz saying DDR is just an overclocked 400mhz DIMM.

3. Skydog287

Skydog287 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, so there isn't any way to get ddr2 to work on it? (probably sounds like a dumb question)
    Also would you say that this motherboard will be able to support upgrades to make it able to run games such as Oblivion?

4. ProWFP

ProWFP

You could run oblivion with 1gb of RAM, a good AGP card, 7600GT or so, but somewhat laggy and loading screens will be on for YEARS, I recommend a full upgrade, any dual core, if Intel (pricey crap) go for any model above E6300, if AMD (cheap goodies) go for any model above 4200+ (SOCKET AM2), as for mobo's, go for VIA chipsets or nVidia chipsets (nForce 5 for AMD and nForce 6 for Intel), graphics cards, 7600GT+ or 8600GT+ NOTHING UNDER THOSE MODELS).

P.S:

Remember to NOT CHEAP OUT ON THE POWER SUPPLY.

The reason that I recommend VIA chipsets is because since they don't have many features, they tend to be VERY VERY stable, and some can even overclock up to 20%.

5. Skydog287

Skydog287 Thread Starter

Thanks again, I think I'll start making purchases following your advise and back it up with a nice power supply. I'll be purchasing one part at a time, starting with ram, then a new card and so on. I wish my wallet wasn't a bit tight, otherwise id buy it all at once, lol.
    I'll take a look at those VIA chipsets, I like the idea of stable.

6. Lo_skillz

Lo_skillz

I would recommend a full upgrade as well just because how cheap some of the procs and mobo's are for dual core. If you don't want to spend the money now though you can run oblivion perfectly fine without a 7600GT card. I have a nVidia 6800GS that runs it beautifully all on the highest settings. I have a little better AMD proc (3200+) and 1 gig of RAM so it's about the same set-up. You could look into overclocking to try to help out as well.
    If you are going to spend any kind of money though just try to save up for an upgrade and then you can run all the cool newer games that are coming out now too with Vista and DX10 goodness.

7. ProWFP

ProWFP

Not just for Vista -_-.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice