1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New user account name shows at startup but old name remains in C:\Users

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by GEOFF, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

With Vista Home Premium I've encountered two strange things:(well two today anyway)

1) When I changed my User Admin name in the User Account Center it changed to the new name in the Welcome Window and in the User Account Center, but not in C:\Users. The old name is still there with all the files and Folders listed. But as I found out, it seems impossible to change the old name there in Computer to the new name as it is not allowed even as admin. So can it be changed or does the old name stay under C:\Users, and the new name only shows in the Welcome screen and the User Account Center.

2)Another strange User account thing: An old User name Folder (It not being used and is empty) that I deleted previously in the User Control Center because the file had problems with a corrupt file still sits there in the User Folder. The folder is empty it says but shows a couple of Roxio files and I can't delete this file. It says files are in use elsewhere.

Neither problem is pressing, but I would like to clean up these loose ends. Even one at a time.
    Thanks,
    G

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    1) this was the same on most of the earlier Windows versions. When one renamed a account the "Document and Settings" folder did NOT get changed. You will find that most of the people that did this will find their folder under the "Owner" folder.

2) When you deleted this account did you select the "Delete files" check box? What you may want to try, boot up in the "Safe Mode", then try and delete these files and folders. Reboot back in the real mode and see it it worked.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

The User folder is part of the OS and as such cannot be changed. You can change the ownership name in the regisrty so that the new name pops up whereverownership is concerned by going:
    "Run, regedit,HKey Local machine,Software, Microsoft,WindowsNT, Current Version and then right click and modify the owner name.

4. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

DaveA and Rich-M----thank you. I have a much clearer understanding now of that Folder.

I will give the suggestions you mentioned some thought and then impliment them if I find the existing names/folders too bothersome as they are.
    G

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/619804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice