1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New version of SPYBOT now available

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by telecom69, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Hi, to anyone who might be interested the long awaited new version of spybot is now available here http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1043809773 it looks good and it works good :) at the moment its a Beta version, I installed it on top of the old version with XP O/S and it installed ok .......It opens up in default mode,but there is an advanced mode with more options if you click on MODE at the top of the screen

2. Gary R

Gary R

When I download the program, then run the setup for 1.4 does it just replace the neccessary files to convert 1.3 to the newer, or do I have to UNinstall 1.3 first?
    I checked for 1.3 updates just before posting this, & got the usual thing about no newer updates being available, so apparently I can't go to 1.4 that way.

1.4 will still be useable with DirectX 6.0a?

I'm using Windows 98SE (Version 4.10.2222A) & Internet Explorer 5.50

3. telecom69

Like I say I installed straight on top of the old version and everything works ok so Im taking it that spybot does all the necessary work itself :D I just checked and there is no sign of the older version on my computer now,so although I cannot comment on Windows 98 I would imagine you are ok to go ahead and install on top...... there has been no updates available for the old version since early March so I would imagine they are about to abandon it... Let me know how it goes....

4. telecom69

To anyone who might have concerns about installing on top,it works ok on Windows ME too I have just done it and everything is working ok

5. spruce

spruce

After reading this post i d/l the new version Then i checked and i had the two versions.So i deleted the old version.

6. jbcalg

jbcalg

thx
    worked just fine installing on top of previous version - xp pro

seems to run faster too

7. TOGG

TOGG

I'm confused. Isn't 1.2 the current version while the latest, beta, is 1.3? The confusion may be because 1.3 has gone through several releases, the latest version of which is no. 4.

Subject to that point, does 1.3 come with any new definitions?

8. TOGG

TOGG

I've got my copy of 1.3 R4 now and there are no updates available for it (though I haven't worked out how to check which definitions it's using yet).

I also still have my version of 1.2 which, on my 98 box, was not overwritten so I'll keep it for a while in case problems develop with 1.3 beta.

9. telecom69

Hi TOGG, glad you have downloaded because I wasnt sure what you meant by definitions? take it you meant its database ? did you notice the spy-bot resident in the system tray? that has 1163 in its blacklist,so its going some,Im pretty sure that the Beta will go OK they are a pretty thorough bunch at spybot,have you got spyware blaster? Im finding that is a pretty good little application too....take care :)

10. telecom69

Gary R Im sure it will still use DirectX if you click on the advanced mode there are all sorts of tweaks available for you to tinker with in the settings .....

11. TOGG

TOGG

telecom69,

Yes, I was thinking in antivirus terms when I mentioned 'definitions'.

I notice that 1.3 scans for 13078 items, if you don't include usage tracking, whereas my version of 1.2 does 12550 so it appears some new stuff has been added. In any event, 1.3 'found' three things so I guess that shows it has been updated.

I think the reference in Spybot Resident is to 'kill bits' like the ones SpywareBlaster uses to block drive by installs. I do have SpywareBlaster and I'm sure it's working well so, as long as it and Resident don't fall out, I'm happy to have them both on the job.

I'm getting off here now to go and enjoy some of this warm weather. Cheers!

12. Nita

Nita

13. jbcalg

jbcalg

14. telecom69

Because Nita I wouldnt publish it on here if it wasnt genuine,the site is a very dedicated site that deals with all aspects of security,you do not have to download if you dont want to,all the people who have posted on this thread are all well known and you can read their comments,surely that should be enough to convince you? :rolleyes: The people who run spybot have been very busy of late producing the new version,thats why there has been no updates,no doubt it will be available from the website very shortly

15. TOGG

TOGG

I didn't actually get my copy from telecom's link, not because I had any doubts about its validity, but because I'm used to using the Spybot Forum at Net Integration and Patrick has a thread there giving a direct link to the d/l so I used that.

We all tread a fine line between sensible surfing and paranoia!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice