1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Version of Windows Live Messenger Won't install

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Gemini43, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gemini43

Gemini43 Thread Starter

I don't use this program much, but today when I needed it, I got a message saying it needed updating to the latest version. Accordingly I let it update, only to get, ages later, an error message saying it couldn't install because of - I think it said something like: 'A network error occured while attempting to read from the file: C:\Windows\Installer\Messenger.msi)'
    So I let it try again, but only got the same result. There doesn't seem to be a way of just uninstalling and cleanly reinstalling the new version, as it is all tied in with Windows Live Essentials and doesn't show as just 'Windows Live Messenger' in Add/Remove or my Revo Uninstaller Prog. On their help pages, there are long complicated instructions on how to uninstall Messenger and do a clean re-install, involving typing in commands, changing Registry keys, etc. etc., that I don't feel at all comfortable with doing. The only other option would be to completely uninstall the whole of Windows Live Essentials, which is a bit drastic, because I have Windows Security Essentials installed, so I don't want to risk messing this up. Isn't there an easier way of uninstalling just Messenger please? Any suggestions welcome. :confused:
    (I am using Windows XP)

2. pip22

pip22

The error points to a problem with an interruption to the internet or server connection as the online installer was running, so it may pay you to download the entire installer first & then install it yourself.

Go here and click the blue link for Offline Installer: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Windows-Live-Messenger-9-Download-89148.html

When the file has finished downloading, double-click it to install.

3. Gemini43

Gemini43 Thread Starter

Thank you for that Pip, but after trying absolutely everything and getting nowhere, in the end, I decided to 'Plunge' and completely uninstall the whole of Windows Live Essentials using Revo Uninstaller. The amount of stuff that was uninstalled I just couldn't believe! Also, uninstalling didn't afffect Windows Live Security Essentials, as I'd feared it might, as so much of Microsoft stuff seems to be so bundled together!

Anyway, I had intended to install the latest version of WLM afterwards, but was so impressed with my resulting faster PC, that I decided not to! In future if people want to talk to me in 'Real Time' they can use SKYPE!
    However, I have downloaded WLM from the link you gave in case I should change my mind. But I find SKYPE great really. I hadn't used it in an age, yet when I started it, it quietly updated itself and carried on working just as if I'd never stopped using it. All my orginal contacts were still there, so I'll see how I go with it. Thanks again. ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice