1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new vid card,old moniter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wildexpressions, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildexpressions

wildexpressions Thread Starter

I gave my mom my old computer for x mas it is a p2 300 with 256 ram 64mb ati rage fury maxx video,running win 98.
    when i was getting it all ready for her i had the resolution set to
    1024x768
    she lives in a different city so i cant really help her except from phone and she has an old moniter,how old i dont know but it is color not monochrome(are those still around lol)
    anyways,when she boots up it almost gets to the end where the color i have set for the background shows up then all there is is a solid line across the screen and everything is frozen.

It boots up fine in safe mode.

I think the video card does not support the old moniter or the resolution on the card is set too high for the moniter.

Is there a way to reduce the screen resolution on the vid card in safe mode?

I told her she may have to borrow a moniter from someone,boot up and change the resolution.
    Or buy a new moniter(ya right)
    what do you guys think?
    The computer worked perfectly the day before she got it and it was delivered to her from a friend whom i know didnt drop it or anything like that.

P.S when she was in safe mode i got her to check in device manager and it showed no problems any where.

Thanks in advance
    Tony

2. ich

ich

You just change the resolution in safe mode the same way you would normally and restart. If it already says "640x480" then change it, change it back, and Apply.
    However, the problem is more likely the refresh rate if it's not the video card driver. Since you're sure the driver's OK based on "it worked yesterday" fire up in safe mode and, in Display Properties, go to the Settings tab, click on the [advanced] button, click on the Monitor tab, and set it to "Adapter default" or something low like 60 Hz.
    Even an older monitor should be able to handle 1024x768 (unless it has vacuume tubes instead of transistors) but older monitors are really pissy about refresh rates. Newer monitors just shut themselves off to protect themselves if you exceed their abilities, but old ones are kinda stupid.
    Good luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64640

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice