New Video Card and Power Supply

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Constant-Rain

My PNY Geforce 5500 card just died, so I've been forced to buy a new card. I'm running on a Dell Dimension 2400, with 3 PCI slots only and a 200 watt PS.

I play a lot of second life, so I need to make sure I'm purchasing a card that will allow me to continue doing so. Heres what I plan on purchasing:

Video Card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130289

Which will need an upgraded Power Supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953

Am I buying the right stuff? Will that card even work with my Dimension 2400 and Second Life?

jonmcc33

Banned
That's a very low end video card. You aren't going to need to upgrade your PSU for that.

Constant-Rain

The video card requires a 300+ PSU and my current PSU is only 200, so you're saying I don't have to upgrade my PSU?

If the card says to do it then do it as Dell's are underpowered to begin with.

Constant-Rain

I wasn't looking to spend $100 dollars on a new psu, but instead, maybe $50 tops. Please suggest another Dell 2400 compatible PSU in that price range?

gyrgrls

Banned
The trouble with DELL MBs is they usually have that weird aux power jack,
instead of the standard 4-pin aux jack.

But I would suggest a bare minimum of 350 Watts for the PS,
and Ge-Force 6800, if you insist on GeForce.

For Radeon, my minimum recommendation would be 9600[x]

OTOH, good old ASUS MBs cost only about $20, and you can pick up
a ATX case for free (Dell cases are mostly proprietary) :(

Time to upgrade, I'm afraid.

WAIT:
I seem to recall...
The mid-range Ge-Forces require a 400 WATT PS,
with at least 26 AMPS on the +12 volt rail.
Worse still, if it's integrated into the MB, it too requires the same 6-pin
AUX connector as does the old DELL.

AGP plug-in cards should be no problem, provided you
have at least 350 or 400 watts (depending on model of video card
and hardware configuration).

jonmcc33

Banned
The video card requires a 300+ PSU and my current PSU is only 200, so you're saying I don't have to upgrade my PSU?
It's a GeForce 6200. It doesn't even use an external power source and gets all of it's power through the AGP slot. You will not need to upgrade your power supply.

Do yourself a favor and look at this link: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140&p=13

They used a significantly more powerful setup than you have, an a 8800GT (which requires a 6-pin external power source) and barely drew over 200W of power.

If the card says to do it then do it as Dell's are underpowered to begin with.
Actually, they are underrated as most quality PSUs are. Have you ever opened a Dell PSU? Made with solid components and packing good sized heatsinks.

The trouble with DELL MBs is they usually have that weird aux power jack,
instead of the standard 4-pin aux jack.
Not sure what you are talking about. Ancient Dells used proprietary connectors but even an old Precision 340 uses the standard 4-pin 12V connector.

But I would suggest a bare minimum of 350 Watts for the PS,
and Ge-Force 6800, if you insist on GeForce.

I seem to recall...
The mid-range Ge-Forces require a 400 WATT PS,
with at least 26 AMPS on the +12 volt rail.
Worse still, if it's integrated into the MB, it too requires the same 6-pin
AUX connector as does the old DELL.

AGP plug-in cards should be no problem, provided you
have at least 350 or 400 watts (depending on model of video card
and hardware configuration).
Those numbers are very wrong. See the AnandTech link above. You wouldn't need a 400W PSU unless you were running SLI. :rolleyes:

Constant-Rain

I didn't think so either, but tigerdirect recommended you upgrade the PSU. The 6200 card is pci and according to your AnandTech link, my current PSU is more than sufficient. Thanks jonmcc33 for giving me a solid "answer".

jonmcc33

Banned
You're right, it's PCI and not AGP. It consumes even less power in that case. :p

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online