1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New video card plus integrated.. can I do dual monitors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lord Lance, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lord Lance

Lord Lance Thread Starter

I've had my emachine for a while now and I recently added a few things including a video card, a raidon whatever.. well it works beautifully. Now I recently acquired a second monitor and I have my default monitor slot and I'd like to set up a dual monitor configuration. I tried to set it up by extending my desktop and all that but it got me nowhere as it just pretends I never hit the check box then I hit apply. So I went into bios and told it to first load the integrated card.. it's still only showing on my old monitor on the new card. Is there any way to make this work?

2. crEA-tEch

crEA-tEch

Usually you can only use one display adapter at a time, this is as far as I'm aware. I had the same question a while back, and got the answer I'm giving you now.

3. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 Banned

Yes, you can use dual monitor with integrated and an additional video card (PCI/AGP/PCIe).

4. gnuman

gnuman

jon most of the time you cannot run integrated and external at the same time. I would be surprised if you could since most bioses make you choose internal or agp/pci-e graphics card for display.

5. Mcbee

Mcbee

It will only work with one of the older PCI graphics cards in addition to your AGP one. I had an old system that had a faulty AGP slot so I used a PCI card in one of the expansion slots instead. I was experimenting one day and added an AGP card as well and discovered I could use both together in a proper dual set up. It showed me that for some reason the AGP slot would not function while the system was POSTing but would work in windows. You could get a GPU that supports two monitors.

6. Lord Lance

ok well if I got another raidon card like the first one I got would it work? I want dual monitors but money is limited. the first card was like $85

7. Mcbee

Mcbee

What is your current Graphics Card?. How many monitor outputs does it have? If it has only one you can replace it with one that has dual outputs. This would be better than getting an older spec PCI card.

8. Lord Lance

dxdiag says it's a raidon 9600 xt agp ATI card. it works beautifully it has 256mb of memory.. if I got a dual display card I would want the same or very similar quality

9. minigunn

minigunn

I have the 9600 on one of my computers. Mine has one vga and one LCD type output. So you can run one CRT and one LCD. You would need an adaptor (if one exists) to run two LCD. I know that there are adaptors so that you can run two CRT - but why would you want to do that?

10. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 Banned

You choose internal as your main and then install an additional video card. You install the drivers for your hardware and then configure the dual monitors. It has worked for me on every Dell I have ever used. :p

11. Mcbee

Mcbee

Check your graphics card's outputs. You should have a VGA and a DVI socket. One is analogue(AGP) and the other is digital(DVI). If you have two VGA monitors you will need a DVI to VGA adapter. This usually comes with the card.

12. Byrone4807

Byrone4807

I was going to ask this question only different. i have a dual output (vga-dvi) on my pci-e card and was wondering if i could hookup another monitor to the vga output on the stock motherboard vga out for a third monitor. my computer at work is hooked up that way. my question is how to activate the motherboard output ? ive hooked a monitor into the vga out but no screen.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/681367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice