1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New video card -> Random "Sync. out of range" errors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bashaar, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bashaar

Bashaar Thread Starter

I just installed a new video card (HIS ATI Radeon X1300 Turbo IceQ), my previous card was an ATI Radeon 9500. I had no problem upon upgrading, everything went smoothly. I also installed the new ATI drivers (with the catalyst control center).

Now, the problem is that at random times (mostly when I'm browsing the net), the computer either freezes so that I have to restart it, OR the monitor blacks out and displays "Sync. Out of Range" and again I have to restart.

My current desktop settings are 1024x768 at 70Hz. I never had this problem with my previous video card (my settings with my old video card were 1024x768 at 75Hz, as you can see I tried turning down the refresh rate but had no luck).

I'm on Windows XP, with an AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 768MB RAM.

Any ideas would be very appreciated.

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Did you remove the old drivers before you installed the new drivers? That can be a frustrating problem if you don't.

BTW, that sync out of range signal on a monitor generally indicates that it's getting NO signal. You could have a bad card there, but see if you can straighten it out by reinstalling drivers, being careful to remove the old drivers, and see what happens.

3. Bashaar

Bashaar Thread Starter

I don't think I did remove the old drivers, I just installed the new ones over the old ones :/

I'll try what you suggested and report back if I get the problem again.

Btw, just some extra info - whenever the monitor brings up that error it also displays the current refresh rate under it, which is usually something like 170Hz :S

Thanks.

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

Try removing ALL of the vga drivers and reinstalling your current ones. I prefer to use the Windows add hardware wizard to do it, rather than just running CD's. I seem to have a better success rate with that method.

You might also check HIS's website or even AMD/ATI to see if there are updated drivers.

5. Bashaar

Bashaar Thread Starter

Okay, this time my whole display just turned into a white background with vertical black lines... What could be causing this?

6. telegramsam

telegramsam

I think you have a bad card. Put the old one back in and see if it works (obviously you'll have to reinstall the old driver)

7. Bashaar

Bashaar Thread Starter

Lol, the reason I upgraded my card was because my older one was pretty much dead (stripes/artifacts appeared on the screen all the time).

The current video card is working so far, I don't know if it's completely random when the screen goes blank or if it's something I'm doing that's initiating it. :confused:

Is there anything else that could be conflicting/causing this? Do you think it's something to do with the monitor, or power supply..? In the ATI Catalyst Control Center there's an option to use 'Composite Sync', since I have a pretty old CRT monitor do you think I need this on?

Thanks again

8. Bashaar

Bashaar Thread Starter

Okay, I'm definitely still getting the Sync. out of Range errors. The error appeared, then the screen went black again, the computer made some working sounds for a while and then I just had to restart my comp..

9. Randomhero204

Randomhero204

yea i just got an ati radeon x1300 like 3-4 weeks ago and randomly my screen goes black as well and sometimes when im playing counter-strike:source or Vanguard ill get temporary red dots or lines all over my screen and it will freeze than the moniter will go black and come back on and i can continue to play...but when it just randomly goes black my power button on the moniter flash's on and off as if my computer wasnt on and i have to restart it

10. fedora_daddy

fedora_daddy

Hello guy,

I have problem when I install a new intel d946gzis mainboard with Pentium D cpu. My dos program network share printing very slow. Before I use this Intel d946gzis mainboard, I just wait for 2 or 3 second and printing will come out. After I use this mainboard with pentium D cpu, the printing is very slow. I need to wait for around 35 to 45 second before printing come out. Any ideas would be very appreciated.

11. Chimber

Chimber

I've got the same thing going on with this card, the HIS ATI Radeon X1300 Turbo IceQ. After about 30 seconds to 30 minutes of playing a 3d game (like WoW, Lord of the Rings Online, etc.) my screen will either go black or I'll see the 'out of sync' message on the monitor. Actually, I think it says 170 kHz for the horizontal refresh...hehe. A complaint to them and ATI gave the recommendations to clear out the old drivers and reinstall and to tweak nearly every setting possible to find out what's causing the issue.

I checked the cooling fan and that was good. I cleaned out all the old drivers with ATI's cleaner tool and reinstalled. I even checked/unchecked and lowered every setting possible. Nothing seemed to work at all.

One thing that DID seem to help somewhat was UNDERCLOCKING the card. I don't know if it's because this card is inherently overclocked as stock, but using ATITool to lower the clock speeds down by about 50 MHz seemed to cut how often this occurs by half. I'm still playing with cutting it further, but does anyone have any other ideas besides slowing the card down?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice