1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New video card -- slower Internet and BSODs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whoblitzell, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whoblitzell

whoblitzell Thread Starter

I upgraded my video card from the geforce 6600 GT to the eVGA 7900 GT KO and installed the new Nvidia drivers from nvidia.com. Shortly after this, I have started getting random BSODs about driver_irql_not_less_or_equal and my cable internet is running at about half the speed it used to on downloads. The only correlation I can think of is that my ethernet card is onboard.

I'm pretty sure the system is stable because it's stood up to Prime95 and the video card has stood up to 3dmark 06 at 5 loops.

This seems bizzare and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do?

2. onsite

onsite

Did you uninstall the old video card or did you just remove the card.?

3. whoblitzell

I tried uninstalling the device driver and reinstalling it to no change in Internet speed.

4. onsite

onsite

That is not what i asked. I asked, did you uninstall the old video card or did you just remove it ? :)

5. whoblitzell

I took the old video card out and put in the new one then uninstalled and reinstalled driver. What would be the difference between 'removing' and 'uninstalling' if not the device's driver?

6. onsite

onsite

I have installed a few video cards for ppl. Where i get there and they say install this. Quite a few if not all say "uninstall the old drivers first" ...is this what is causing what is wrong?
    I duno ?:confused:
    Maybe try uninstalling the new one and pop in the old one , then go to system/hardware/device manager and uninstall ???

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice