1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Video Card, Worse Performance?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr.Magee, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee Thread Starter

I recently installed a newer video card in my rather old computer. But it actually made the performance when playing Flight Simulator 2004 worse? With my old GeForce 2 Pro I could run the graphics medium to low, but with the new better card I can put all the sliders as low as possible and it is still unplayable. It gets under 20 fps. I also upgraded from 512mb of RAM to 1Gb when I installed the new GPU, so I was expecting a considerable upgrade in performance in FS, I didn't expect it to get worse!!

Here are my specs: AMD Athlon XP 2100+ 1.74GHz, 1GB RAM. ASUS A7N266-VM mobo. XP Home. The new GPU is a GeForce 6200A 128MB http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814140060

Does anyone know what could cause this??

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you tried newer driver for the Geforce 6200A? The 6200A is an entry level Direct 9.0c card, not really suitable to gaming but it should do well on FS2004. However Since the card supports DX9 the game is likely trying to run in DX 9 mode and that might be why its getting lower performance.

The drivers can be downloaded from here: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
    Although it appears the site is down at the moment.

You can also download it from here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1537

You should uninstall the current Nvidia drivers from Add or Remove Programs before installing the new ones.

It could also be an issue with the RAM, if its not fully compatible.

Also see if you have the latest patch: http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/downloads.asp

3. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee Thread Starter

Awesome thanks for all the help. I've tried looking for drivers on Nvidia's website, but can't seem to find the 6200A drivers? I'll give those a shot and see if it helps, I'll update later. Thanks.

4. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee Thread Starter

I also read on a site that my mobo can only except 512MB per slot? I just bought a 1GB stick, and slapped it in there. Under my computer it shows that I have 1GB of system RAM though?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The have an almost universal driver for the entire Geforce series of cards. This driver does nearly all of the Geforce cards: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob

If the memory is not showing up correctly, and you cna only use 512MB per slot then you need to return the 1Gb and get a 512MB stick.

7. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee Thread Starter

But if I can see the 1GB under 'My Computer' 'Properties' then I should be good right?

8. wilson44512

wilson44512

if it aint working right. they might have to go in as pairs. like 2=512MB or 2=1GB sticks

9. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee Thread Starter

The max allowable RAM is 1 GB for my mobo.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What motherboard do you have?

So did you keep the original 512MB and add the new 1GB? If so then you're missing 512MB if it only shows 1GB. And if the total for the motherboard is 1GB then you have to divide that by the number of slots to determine the maximum per slot.

11. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee Thread Starter

Its an ASUS A7N266-VM. Before the install, I had 512MB. I had two 256MB sticks. (One in each slot) When I bought the GPU, I also bought a stick of Kinsington 1GB RAM. So I just pulled out the two that were in there, and replaced them with just the one 1GB stick. Since thats the max the mobo can handle.

Also I did all the updates last night. Downloaded the Driver for the GPU and the patch for flight simulator. Neither of which helped, still getting 0-4fps when I put the game in motion. If I'm just sitting on the runway, the fps will be about 19. So either is really bad. Can't wait to get my new comp built!! :D

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  13. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee Thread Starter

Sounds good, I'll give that a shot tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

14. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee Thread Starter

Just curious, but do you know what kind of effect that would have on the system having one 1GB stick stuffed in there?

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Normally it would just ignore half of it, but it could cause stability issues as well.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice