New Video Card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Taae

I play a lot of games on my computer, i bought 'black and white 2' the other day and it wouldn't work because my video card isn't good enough, i'v also had problems with other games running slow. Is there an easy way to imporve the performace of my video card or do i need to replace it. If i need to replace it how much would a decent one cost and is it as simple as taking out the old and putting in the new one? I am only 15 so i can't afford much, i can probably spend up to £150. Is that enough or should i wait and save some more?
I don't know much about computers so i'm not sure what video card i have at the moment, but here are some of the specs that are on the front of my computer:
emachines 4260
intel celeron D processor 345
3.06 GHz
256k L2 cache
533 MHz FSB
160 GB hard drive
intel extreme Graphics 3D
512MB DDR SDRAM

Emmmm, almost any decent card would be better then the built in Graphics chip you have in your computer. It will make a big difference and your budget is pretty good. The Connect3D Radeon x800 GTO Video Card is excellent---sells for 179.00 (US) at newegg.com. You are obviously in Britain so I guess you would need to order it from someone there.

Taae

Thanks, so would i simply take the old one out and put the new one in?

Rukee

Banned
If you knew what you had now, you may be able to tweak the settings in the display properties to gain some performance in games without upgrading yet. Dissabling any AA-AF filtering for example if they are enabled now, would help increase fps in games. But with on-board video, the performance will never be up to par with an AGP or PCI-e card.
To replace you`d want to remove the drivers for the video from the control panel, then shut down and install the new card, boot back up and most motherboards will send the signal to the new video card, if not, you may have to enter the BIOS and find the option to dissable the on-board and use the AGP card, then after it boots up, install the drivers from the CD that comes with the new card, or from their webpage.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online