1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new virus on the internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zergpc208, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Anyone know of this new virus on the internet that comes in JPEG or attachment.The virus replicates and turn good system files into bad files

The virus is immune to ati-virus programs and the virus keeps changing it self so Microsoft or Norton can't work on a solution.:eek:

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

how'd you hear about it, was there a name, are you infected?

3. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

On a talk radio show :eek: I don't know the name but it much worse than coolwebsearch the virus name keeps changing .

Every day there are new coolwebsearch variants that spybot and adwar can't keep up with all the new variants.And many can't delete it well in Windows but only in safe mode or before Windows start.

This virus from my understanding the name and maybe behavior keeps changing.Many people that put virus and such like to make it very hard for Microsoft or Norton to remove it.And virus and such are becoming more complex.

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

talkshows are your source of info about viruses?????

coolwebsearch does have a bunch of variants but it's not a virus?

spybot and adaware don't remove viruses.

i use spybot1.4 and usually see "congrats" no problems found thru all the coolweb + all the others that spybot loioks at if updated regularly..

i use norton/symantec av exclusively, stay current and don't have any problems.

5. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Okay is coolwebsearch not a trojan.You know the nasty search box ,pop up box it changes the sidebar or search bar box..

And keeps bringing up strange web sites you do not want.What about home page change??

I know spybot and adaware remove malwar but I use AVG for viruses and some of the trojan spybot and adaware can't find:eek:

Even if you edit the registry the malwar will change it back on boot up..:

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm sure this doesn't really have anything to do with networking, and I'm also sure that this would be widely publicized if it were actually true. :)

7. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Well I'm sure Microsoft or Norton will find a solution that is what they do best.Its money thing.They have to.

I have seen malware that has change the desktop or home page.I have seen some add pop up adds or sidebar or search bar box.

Put Icons on the desktop or keep bringing up strage web sites.Make the computer slow or will not that be click on any Icons .

Hank even when not on the internet I seen pop up adds or programs running.I have seen web sites come up when not on the internet ,desktop turn to active desktop :eek:

At time becuse of malwar I could not go on the internet.A average PC gets this about 3 or 4 times in year.:eek:

8. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

I should say that is what happens to me and my friends:eek:

9. valis

valis Moderator

totally depends on your surfing habits and pc maintenance. I've been all over this internet for about 10 years, and have been infected twice, and once because my wife accidentally downloaded the trojan herself. Run AVG, Adaware, Ewido, and Spybot S & D and use Mozilla, and I scan every couple of weeks, and I'm generally pretty clean.

v

10. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

If you try to download free stuff you could get a coolwebsearch trojan ..I should say all the computers we have we get 2 hits on average more or less a year..

I hate the coolwebsearch trojan :eek:

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I can't remember the last time I had to deal with a virus infection. My free AV catches a few things, mostly with email, and a couple with Active-X, but that's about it.

12. GioAG

GioAG

Hello zergpc208,

Certainly most of the "viruses" you will hear on those radio talk shows are mainly hoax, not all of them but almost all.

Is no reason to be in extreme panic about these dangerous "viruses" as long as you have a good AV protection (congrats for using AVG, is a really good tool), a firewall (could be a simple router) along with good surfing habits.

I've gathered a few links that you may find useful to understand a bit more and be protected from this threats:

http://techtalk.yourtechonline.com/articles/techtalk_email_viruses.php

http://techtalk.yourtechonline.com/techtalk_computer_security.php

http://techtalk.yourtechonline.com/techtalk_email_viruses_firewalls.php

My best regards

13. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Yeah guys. Let's consider the source of the information.....

14. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

I rarely get any viruses, you just have to be smart online and think before you just go download things.

15. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Talk radio show:)

If you try to download free stuff you could get a coolwebsearch trojan :eek:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice