1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Vista computer doesn't boot after using System Commander

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by peterrojo, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterrojo

peterrojo Thread Starter

I bought a new Vista machine. Came to hate Vista within 24 hours and decided to create a dual-booter (XP). I put on System Commander. Then I plugged in my old SATA hard drive through a USB-casing and waited skepitically for System Commander to offer to boot from it. It didn't.

No big deal. I decided to make a dual boot using a new non-upgrade, start-from-scratch Windows XP disk.

Then, before even trying that, something strange happened. I was working in Vista. The computer spontaneously rebooted. (The old hard drive from my other computer was still attached through the USB encasing.) System Commander suddenly detected its XP installation. I click on XP. That produced a unending blinking cursor.

I powered down and then back on. The computer tried to networkbook (PXE-E53: No boot filename received).

I killed LAN booting in BIOS setup.
    Now on bootup the cursor just blinked.

This happened no matter who I reconfigured the boot sequence or what I chose in the BIOS boot menu. (System Commander was nowhere to be seen!)

Then, in desperation, I put the new Windows XP CD-ROM in. (After all, with no boot record, I should be offered a clean install, right?) The XP disk loaded a bunch of drivers. That was followed by the Windows Blue Screen of Death.

So now I have a totally non-booting computer.

The computer:

Gateway - Q6600 Desktop
    3 GB RAM
    2 physical hard drives, SATA, 500 Gb each. Drive 0 is partitioned into C: with preinstalled and D:, a recovery partition. Drive 1 is empty but formatted.
    Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW, bootable

I also added an external Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW (USB), bootable? and my old hard drive from my old computer through a USB-supported encasement.

No floppy drive. That's why I did not follow System Commander's advice about making a backup boot record to a:. They offered no other devices on which to make such a backup.

Is there any hope – even if just getting past the Blue SOD?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice